There’s No Fooling You

by Jenn (eating bender) on April 2, 2011

Happy Saturday! The skies are blue and the weather promises to at least somewhat behave today, so there are no complaints here in Chicago. :)

I was glad to see in the comments that I was at least able to get a couple of you on my little April Fools joke. When I first put the post up and sent it to Bobby, he obviously knew right away since I had never once mentioned this to him. (Although wouldn’t it be fun to prove him wrong and just do it anyway?)

When I sent the email out to my friends, it was another story. What follows is an absolutely hilarious conversation with my friend Lauren on G-chat. The funniest part about it was that just moments before, she had changed her status to read, “Happy April Fools Day!” Oh, the irony.

My business partner, Jill, was equally dumbfounded at the news. She wrote me back to make sure I was really serious. When I told her I was, she was nothing but supportive. :) Here is our email chain:

At this point in the morning, I am laughing hysterically. More and more comments are coming in on the post itself that say “April Fools” and yet my friends are still believing me! It was more than I ever could have hoped for.

Miss Sam (side note: you should click her link because she has a new food blog, My Boyfriend Bakes, and it is absolutely amazing) was another story. She saw right through my lies – and the picture I posted – immediately.

But that didn’t stop her from playing the joke on one of our mutual friends, who knows both Bobby and me and also believed this crazy story. I believe the conversation went as follows:

• Michael: Jenn cant be serious with this name stuff. Krennducki solves none of the issues. She will still have a different name than her kids and it still rhymes.
  • Sam: Well I heard that Bobby is now considering changing his name to the same thing. I don’t know, I try not to get involved.
  • Michael: That just is a phonetically arduous name. It has no linguistic background. This should not get me mad.

Yes, these are the types of conversations that followed after an innocent April Fools prank. I cannot make this stuff up! My holiday was made. I am happy to hear that a few of you believed me, too. :)

To officially set the record straight…

I am not changing my name to Jenn Krennducki!!

This year’s prank, however, seemed to be more believable than in the past.

If you can’t tell, April Fools Day is somewhat of a celebrated holiday around here. One of the best blog pranks I saw yesterday was Sabrina’s tea kettle replacement.

What were some of your blog world favorites?

With good pranks come good meals, and I certainly had an outstanding lunch and dinner. First stop? Hannah’s Bretzel. If you have been reading ye olde ancient blog, you will know how much I was, at one time, obsessed with this place.

Their bread is like heaven. You know how much I love bread? Well, their bread is the absolute best.

I chose the Italian Parma Ham and Goat Cheese sandwich on whole grain bretzel. The two are combined with baby arugula, rosemary infused asparagus and white truffle oil for a truly mind-blowing taste experience.

The sandwich came with tamari roasted almonds. Plus, it was 47.1% organic. :)

I am never one to say no to carbohydrates when they are in the form of bread. As a result, dinner was no different this week. Bobby and I whipped up one of our favorite pairings: Annie’s Whole Wheat Shells & White Cheddaramplified.

What does amplified mean, you ask?

It means taking an ordinary box of mac and making it extraordinary. 😉 While the shells are cooking, we throw shrimp and edamame into a pan and sizzle them up with roughly 1/2 packet of white wine and herb marinade.

Combining those flavors with the white cheddar makes one ridiculously good bowl of ingredients.

I urge you to try it sometime with whatever seasoning you like most!

April Fools Success + Successfully Delicious Meals = One Happy Bender

What are your plans for this weekend?

Let me know about your favorite April Fools Day pranks, too!

1 Erica April 2, 2011 at 12:31 pm

hahahah- I can’t believe people fell for that- how awesome :) I love that you played along too ;). That dinner- drool. I’m seriously having a shrimp obsession (its beyond a craving). I’m having it for my fourth dinner this week tonight. Overload? Yes please! Hooray for the weekend. Its been wonderful so far- date night in last night, Body Step, shopping and housework today. Dinner with parents tonight!

2 Jenn (eating bender) April 4, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Shrimp is where it’s at. 😉 Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend!

3 Melissa @ TryingToHeal April 2, 2011 at 1:08 pm

haha, i remember the elopement!!! hahaha!!!

oh man, when i saw that on fb i was like, no way. she’d never do that!

4 Jenn (eating bender) April 4, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I love that you remember it! :) And that you know me so well.

5 Sarah April 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm

i’m glad you had a great april fools day and a successful prank! :)

your amped up annie’s mac & cheese just made me drool a little. i think it’s time for me to go find some lunch! 😉

6 Jenn (eating bender) April 4, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Thanks, Sarah! :)

7 Lee April 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I liked the little tea kettle too! Very cute.

Jason and I used to talk about combining our names to Rosenell or Beckenthal. I think Beckenthal sounds half way decent! Obviously, we didn’t actually do this.

8 Jenn (eating bender) April 4, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I like Beckenthal! That’s awesome that you two talked about it. I actually had a serious conversation with Bobby once the prank part was over!

9 Jenny April 2, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Wow that sammie looks amazing!

10 Jenn (eating bender) April 4, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Thanks, Jenny! It makes me hungry just thinking about it. :)

11 BroccoliHut April 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Wow, that sandwich looks amazing–I need to add Hannah’s Bretzel to my list of places to visit the next time I come to Chicago!
Plans for this weekend=celebrating Seth’s b-day and volunteering at the local NEDA walk.

12 Jenn (eating bender) April 4, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Please say this next visit to Chicago is soon!!! :) And happy birthday to Seth!!

13 Monique April 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm

I love the name change prank and also your friend’s reaction ha :) HILARIOUS. I haven’t done an April Fool’s prank since college, nor has one been played on me since then. Kind of sad, but also a relief haha. That pasta shrimp bowl looks DIVINE btw!

14 Jenn (eating bender) April 4, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Thanks, Monique! It’s definitely more fun to be the one pulling the prank than the one on the receiving end – haha!

15 The Sometimes Healthy Girl April 3, 2011 at 8:13 am

Love the April Fools joke. Clearly you are good at them!

Hello from a fellow Northwestern Journalism grad. Just started blogging and I’ve always really enjoyed your blog. I’ve even got you on my blogroll :-) Hope you’ll stop by some time!

16 Jenn (eating bender) April 4, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Hi fellow Medillian!!!!! :) I’m so excited for you and your new blog. I will definitely stop by and add you to my blogroll, too. Thank you for commenting!

17 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm

yumm the shrimp and shells look delish! How clever :)

18 Jenn (eating bender) April 4, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Thanks, Jenny!! :)

19 Maris (In Good Taste) April 3, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Funny, you really had your friends fooled! Your sandwich looks unbelievably good!

20 Jenn (eating bender) April 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I couldn’t believe they bought it. 😉 Thanks, Maris!

21 Megan (Braise The Roof) April 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Haha, hilarious! I only got one April Fools prank this year, but I didn’t fall for it. 😉 I haven’t tried Hannah’s Bretzel- I’ll have to check it out!

22 Jenn (eating bender) April 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Ooh, can we go there on a foodie “date” sometime? I will totally tag along for your first Hannah’s Bretzel experience!

23 Laura @ prettylittlewords April 5, 2011 at 3:35 pm

OMG — not only is Hannah’s Bretzel my favorite place in the entire freakin world, that is my favorite sandwich as well! I seriously have dreams about it and eat it in the tiniest bites possible so I can savor every damn bit of that sammie. Chicago bloggie meetup soon, perhaps!!

24 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:29 am

I love it! It was too good to be true. :) We should absolutely plan to grab lunch there at some point! Let me know what your schedule looks like!

25 Charla April 5, 2011 at 3:48 pm

What a wonderful joke! Well played! :)

Right before we got on the phone with you and Jill, I read an article that the FTC had ruled that coupons had to be honored for “equivalent cash value, so a $1-off coupon could actually be redeemed for $1 cash! Our office went in to a bit of tizzy talking about the repercussions for our business; if we should notify our clients; if we needed to dispose of current coupons, etc. About 15 minutes later we realized it was an April Fool’s Day joke. I’m SO glad we didn’t call our clients! Haha!!!

26 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:22 am

Love this, Charla! That definitely sounds like one I would have believed. :) I love that the team debated on telling clients, too!