Now The Joke Is On Me

by Jenn (eating bender) on April 4, 2011

The fun continues here in Chicago long after April Fools Day is over, friends. But this time, the joke is on me – in both fun and not-so-fun ways.

Fun: On Saturday, I found the following package waiting for me in the mail room.

Someone wasted no time accepting our new identity! It was a day brightener that I sorely needed.

Not-So-Fun: Just minutes before, I had thought I was leaving to take my car to get serviced. A red “alternator workshop” light came on earlier in the week, but VW assured me I could still drive the car.

No, no I could not.

Half way down the parking ramp, a dozen or so more lights began blinking. My radio shut off. And my car started beeping like a ticking time bomb. Panicked, I pulled into the first spot I could find and shut the poor girl off. Then I called the same dealer and told them what happened.

“Oh. No, you definitely cannot drive it.”

Thank you, sir.

A few phone calls and the early symptoms of a headache later, and I was back in my apartment waiting for the tow truck to come and take me and Winky (naming your car is normal, right?) up to Evanston.

Fun: Thankfully, the package addressed to the Krennduckis arrived bearing gifts.

Chocolate that tastes best when served with wine. Also known as, “The World’s Greatest Invention.”

The package did not come with a gift card. I posted a note on Facebook asking for my mystery admirer to reveal themselves before realizing that, of course, it could only be Mama Bender. My suspicions were confirmed when I called her a few minutes later. :)

This gesture calmed me down considerably and prepared me for a rather intense afternoon at the service center. But that story is to be continued…later on in this post.

On Sunday, I woke up with the urge to document everything served with a dish. And so I did.

Breakfast was a very familiar mixture of rice puff cereal, Kashi Go Lean and flax.

Served with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, which sent the ingredients flowing over the edge.

And paired with Coffee Cocoa, for good measure.

We spent the morning bumming around in our pajamas, Bobby productively studied for the CFA test, while I not-so-productively read My Sister’s Keeper for the first time and tried not to cry.

Hours passed like minutes, and before we knew it we were staring lunch in the face.

Just looking at it makes me want more! This was leftover almond-crusted walleye from L. Woods, a delicious tap and pine lodge that we ate at for dinner on Saturday night with a group of Bobby’s friends. It was amazing! Definitely worth replicating at home sometime. Now I remember how much I love walleye. It’s a Minnesota thing.

I also had a dollop of whipped cottage cheese sprinkled with chipotle seasoning.

Dinner was by far the most gorgeous meal, however. Fajitas, minus the fajita holder.

I decided to go sans tortilla to focus on the flavor of the chicken, veggies, beans and cheese. Mmhm.

Doesn’t get much better than that. The extra sauce you see around the plate is from the Lawry’s fajita seasoning we used. When combined with water, it makes a rich topping for all the ingredients.

And then Sunday ended and took what was left of fun right along with it.

Not-So-Fun: Spending your entire Monday at the service center. Remember those wallet-unfriendly repairs from January? A few more reared their ugly heads today. What started as an ambitious hope that I would arrive at the dealership at 8:30 and leave by 10:00 ended with me stumbling out onto the sidewalk at 3:30 in the afternoon, still without a car and not in the best of moods, to say the least.

Turns out, when they said they fixed everything, the joke was on me.

But if you know me by now, you know that I am an eternal optimist. I don’t just look for the light at the end of the tunnel, I wave at and greet it like an old friend.

My husband finds out that I have been sitting inside a dealership watching Maury Povich for longer than can possibly be deemed healthy. When I assure him that this is, in fact, not a joke, that I now know at least 12 new men who “ARE,” in fact, their baby’s father, he does what he can to bring back the fun.

Does this look like fun or what?

Those dark chocolate chips made the entire trip worth it, I swear.

FrΓΌz is synonymous with fun. I know Mara agrees with me.

How was your Monday?

Abrazos,

1 glidingcalm April 4, 2011 at 11:18 pm

im sorry about the car pains!! ugh!!

at least you had some good eats!! yay fro yooooooo!

love you always!

2 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:29 am

Definitely no fun at all – but thank you for the kind words, GC!

3 Heather Eats Almond Butter April 4, 2011 at 11:21 pm

My Monday wasn’t that great either. Horrible storms that had us in the basement 15 mins after nap time began. So had to haul baby out of crib downstairs…then without power for 8 hours…and the temp dropped about 30 degrees. Could have used some Fruz in my life tonight. Well, actually, the cafe cocoa probably would have been the better choice since it’s freezing, but at least the power is back on!

Hope we both have better days tomorrow Jenn. We will. :)

4 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:31 am

Oy, Heather! When I read this it made my car issues seem downright whiny. ;) I am very sorry to hear that all of that happened to you on Monday. Glad to hear the power is back on now and I love your positive attitude. Hope you are having a fantastic week now!!

5 Joanna April 4, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Oh no! So sorry about your car. It stinks to have to sit in those auto waiting rooms. It’s like watching paint dry. I hope tomorrow is better for you!

So, do you have any tips for how you stay so optimistic? Because it is one of my self-improvement goals to not worry/stress out so much. I am convinced I’m going to make myself sick with my overly worrisome ways. So, any tips you have on how to be positive, optimistic, not worry etc. I will take them with open arms! LOL

Also, I’m WAY excited for Dream Champs. I’m about to graduate with my master’s degree and I’ve applied for oh, going on 15 jobs so far, and only had a few meager bites. I love your concept and can’t wait to see what’s next!

6 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:27 am

It’s definitely like watching paint dry, haha! Thank you so much for the kind words about DreamChamps! As far as staying optimistic – that’s a great question. I am definitely still a work in progress, but I think my main philosophy whenever I get overwhelmed about something is to try and imagine how it will feel six months or a year from now. I often find myself thinking that what I imagined to be the biggest deal in the world at one point, I can barely remember worrying over once some time has passed. Knowing this helps me get through the tough days and remember that as long as I am working hard toward a goal (which you clearly are, graduating with a master’s degree and applying for jobs!), it will all work out eventually.

Waiting is the hardest part…trust me, patience is definitely something I struggle with! But I hope that helps a little bit. :)

7 Melissa @ TryingToHeal April 4, 2011 at 11:37 pm

ah, hugs hugs hugs jenn! i know the feeling of car troubles…man, when my alternator dies in FL during the drive home and pouring rain I wanted to die with it. hah!

but omg how far are you in my sister’s keeper?! it’s such a GOOD BOOK!!!!! I can’t wait to hear what you think when you finish it!!! ahhhhh….nwo i want to reread it!

8 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:32 am

Thank you so much, Melissa! I finished My Sister’s Keeper the other day while at the dealership, haha. But oh my goodness, I bawled my eyes out. It was such a great read and beautifully written! I will definitely be re-reading it someday!

9 Tasha @ Voracious April 5, 2011 at 2:19 am

OH MY! I just think I drooled a little bit, that crusted fish looks so deliciously yummmy! And I haven’t had breakfast yet, but I’m already thinking that I should figure out how to make this for dinner.

I need some dark chocolate drops! Now I’m off to sort out breakfast since this post has my tummy rumbling.

10 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:28 am

It was SO good. Definitely recommend trying to recreate the recipe!

11 Erica April 5, 2011 at 5:58 am

Gahhh- car repairs and repair centers are just the worst….Hope your baby gets back together and is 100%. The fajita plate looks so good! I love ordering fajitas out sans the wrappers. And I will totally be trying that Lawry’s fajita seasoning. My Monday was pretty good- lots of running around, working & teaching :)

12 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:32 am

Thank you, Erica! She is finally back to 100% and hopefully will stay that way!

13 Salah April 5, 2011 at 7:56 am

Looks like a wonderful day! My monday was good, very busy but amazing!

14 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:33 am

Thanks, Salah!

15 Megan (Braise The Roof) April 5, 2011 at 9:55 am

Yuck I hate having to deal with car trouble! No fun! Fro yo makes everything better, though. :)

16 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:33 am

It truly does make everything better. :)

17 Laura @ prettylittlewords April 5, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Mmmm, your non-fajita-fajitas look so tasty!!!

I am not a huge fan of Yogen Fruz, but they just opened a new self-serve yogurt spot in Boystown near my house that has RED VELVET. Oh mah gawd.

18 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:34 am

Thanks, Laura! I haven’t heard of this self-serve with red velvet but…oh mah gawd is right. ;) I sense yet another food blogger adventure!

19 Laura @ prettylittlewords April 7, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Oh you definitely have to try it out! They had birthday cake too…I think it’s called Yogurt Pier!

20 Natalie @ will jog for food April 5, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Car troubles are the worst!! At least you had the yummy fro yo to cheer you up :)

21 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:34 am

Agreed! Thanks for the sympathy, Natalie. :)

22 BroccoliHut April 5, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Yay for GoLean! I love it with flax and/or wheat germ:)

23 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:34 am

I eat it every morning! My favorite!

24 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm

My Monday was okay – Am loving this whole blog thing but on the flip side, my work has turned exceedingly boring. Thankfully, I have this lovely little blog to balance things out right?

PS – so sweet that your man brought you yogurt :-)

25 Jenn (eating bender) April 7, 2011 at 3:36 am

Absolutely! Blogging is definitely a major way to get the creative juices flowing when things turn not-so-exciting on the work front. I am really glad to hear you are enjoying it!