Dinner With A Friend + Oprah

by Jenn (eating bender) on May 26, 2011

One of the many lessons that Jill and I have learned along this crazy entrepreneurial journey so far is that it is important for us to spend time together as friends instead of as business partners. The lines are easily blurred in our case, since we treat each other with the same amount of respect and have the same amount of fun whether we are working or not.

Still, sometimes you just need to kick back and have an Oberon.

Last night, Jill invited me over to make dinner, gossip and watch our favorite shows. We headed to the grocery store to pick up our supplies and created a delicious feast that paid homage to our childhood. Specifically, a creation that both her mom and Papa Bender are known for.

Any guesses? None at all? 😉

Fajitas, of course!

We began our meal with an appetizer of chips with salsa and queso, all while watching Oprah’s final show. It was definitely a moving hour, filled with her biggest lessons and a few tears.

That reminds me…

Jill and I had the opportunity to attend Oprah’s Surprise Spectacular last week!

The show was absolutely epic and thanks to Jill’s super sleuth skills, we were able to not only get tickets, but also have seats right in the middle of all the action! The event was completely star studded — and we were starstruck.

Hi, Tom Hanks!

You can see all of the celebrities and pictures from the evening on my Facebook page.

We left the show with big grins and memories that will last a lifetime.

If there is a way to match a night with Oprah in food form, this fajita dinner was it.

We cooked up some chicken in fajita seasoning, along with orange and red peppers and red onion, too.

We also represented our first and most delicious POP! Social Media client, Flatout Bread!

These mini wraps were the perfect size to make two fajitas each.

Load ’em up with fresh ingredients, including cheese, Greek yogurt (aka sour cream) and salsa…

…and you’ve got yourself a fabulous dinner! We also shared a bottle of Menage a Trois.

After dinner, we watched 27 Dresses, Google Chrome commercials (that one is a serious tearjerker) and chatted until our self-imposed curfew. We also decided to make this a monthly occasion for trying out new recipes!

Thanks again for the great idea, Jill. You’re full of ’em. :)

Hard to believe today is Thursday already! What are your Memorial Day weekend plans?

The weather in Chicago is supposed to be gorgeous, so Bobby and I may just have to go on a bike ride!

1 Erica May 26, 2011 at 7:56 am

SOOOO awesome that y’all got to go to the show! I love it!! mmm fajitas. They are just the best meal! I’ve never used flatouts for my fajitas- totally trying this. Now I’m craving a flat out pizza ;). Ummm this weekend I am finishing baby shopping with my Mom (and we’re going to Body Step). I am walking the bridge in Charleston with a friend and fellow blogger. Date night with Josh. Otherwise??

2 VeggieGirl May 26, 2011 at 8:26 am

AMAZING opportunity to attend the show!

Weekend plans = dancing 😀

3 Amy May 26, 2011 at 8:43 am

You are one. lucky. girl.

I’m not an Oprah die hard, but that last Surprise Spectacular was pretty amazing. I bawled like a baby…. while I was running on the treadmill. :)

4 Megan (Braise The Roof) May 26, 2011 at 10:20 am

That surprise spectacular sounded like a crazy, crazy time! If ever there was an Oprah show to see, that would probably be it! I hear Monday is supposed to be the nicest day this weekend- I’m crossing my fingers that I’ll get to the beach!

5 cbrady3 May 26, 2011 at 10:26 am

What a fun night! and SO JEALOUS you got to see Oprah! I saw her once in an elevator when I was three:)

This weekend I have a booze cruise in Chicago and then the indy 500!

6 Jenn (eating bender) June 1, 2011 at 9:04 am

Ahh — I’m going to read your post now. So cool that you were here!

7 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 26, 2011 at 10:41 am

That’s seriously awesome that you got to see Oprah’s finale! I wish I could have been there. Watching on TV will have to do :)

8 Jess@atasteofconfidence May 26, 2011 at 12:26 pm

That’s awesome you were there:)

9 BroccoliHut May 26, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Those fajitas look fantastic! I’ll have to keep my eye out for those mini FlatOuts.

10 Jesse May 27, 2011 at 10:17 am

my bff and i love to have mexican feasts as well, looks like a great night!

11 The Sometimes Healthy Girl May 27, 2011 at 10:50 am

How cool that you were able to attend the Oprah show. I would have been starstruck as well. Very good that you two make time to hang out as friends. That is important :-) The fajitas looks amaaazing!

12 natalie (the sweets life) May 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Love girl’s night..even better when you cook together!

I think we’re going to get out on our bikes this weekend too :) Last weekend we biked to lunch on Saturday and it was a blast!

13 Jayme @ Runner-n-spice May 28, 2011 at 7:27 am

OMiGOSH you got to go to the OPRAH finale ????? Thats so cool. It gave me chills! Im running a half marathon tomorrow, and “Run the World” is definitely on my playlist.

I wrote a post about Oprah’s finale, thats how much i loved it and her!

14 Brittany May 28, 2011 at 9:13 pm

It looks like you and Jill had a fab girls night in! The fajitas look killer.

And you are so right about that Chrome commercial being a tear jerker. I need a tissue.

15 diana@mymarblerye June 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm

omg you look so beautiful! That was a chance of a lifetime! so lucky!

16 Jenn (eating bender) June 26, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Thank you so much, Diana! It truly was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. :)