What I Ate Wednesday: Special Edition

by Jenn (eating bender) on July 20, 2011

Like my friend Elise, I have yet to participate in an official edition of WIAW, but I love the concept and have some very special news to share today, so here goes!

In short, there’s a hummus amongus.

I (finally) made hummus! This is a project that has been a long time coming, so when I came across this recipe for roasted red pepper hummus a few weeks ago, I decided to dive in!

I followed Kaitlin’s recipe almost exactly, only choosing to leave out the cumin. After comparing the final result to my old favorite, Sabra, I have to say that there is something very satisfying about it being completely homemade!

vs.

Bobby and I have been using the hummus generously with fresh veggies and as a sandwich spread.

I will definitely be trying out new combinations and flavors in the coming weeks!

Now, for the more important news. :) What I’m Auctioning Wednesday!

I am thrilled to announce that I will be participating in The Great Fundraising Act on behalf of fellow blogger and friend Susan, who is one of the most talented and smart individuals I have ever had the pleasure of meeting through blogging.

Susan was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. On July 25, you can visit Janetha’s blog, Meals & Moves, for an online blogger auction and bake sale on Susan’s behalf. Read all of the details and learn more about how you can get involved here.

After doing some thinking on what I could donate to the sale, I came up with an old blog favorite.

Joyce Shelton Coffee Mugs!!!!!!! All the better to drink Coffee Cocoa with. There will be two awesome mugs up for grabs and I will be shipping to both the U.S. and Canada. I encourage you to check out all of the great items being offered by bloggers from around the world.

On Being A Hot Chocoholic:

On Exercise:

Make sure to visit this link on the 25th and help support a very worthy cause!

And stop by The Great Balancing Act to learn more about Susan. She’s an incredible person with an incredible story.

Abrazos,

1 Joy (A Little Bit Fit) July 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I love this! I need my very own Joyce Shelton coffee mug!

2 Erica July 20, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Homemade hummus seriously rocks! I love experimenting with adding different flavors! Very good on grilled bread! mmmm. Awesome donation! I forgot to post what I’m donating! Such a great cause- I know it will be a huge success

3 Jenn (eating bender) July 24, 2011 at 11:18 am

I can’t wait to see how much money is raised — it’s going to be awesome!

4 Imprint Fitness July 20, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Wow, that hummus looks amazing! One of my favorite foods on earth.
Love your posts!

5 Molly July 20, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I noticed you didn’t put any tahini in your hummus– I’ve only made hummus without tahini and didn’t know if it made THAT MUCH of a difference in the overall flavor/consistency. Do you prefer with or without tahini?

6 Jenn (eating bender) July 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Hey Molly!

Having a total “doh!” moment — I completely forgot that when I took that picture, I hadn’t added the tahini yet. Funny story — Bobby and I actually made it without the tahini first but thought something was missing. Then we added the tahini (as it was in the recipe from Kaitlin) and thought, “now THIS is hummus!” So to answer your question, I think I do prefer it with tahini. It didn’t taste bad without it but wasn’t what I was expecting. Hope that makes sense and sorry for the confusion! :)

7 Elise July 20, 2011 at 6:32 pm

you lured me in with that hummus and now im adding roasted red peppers to our grocery list. looks SO tasty. i cant wait to see what everyone else is auctioning off!

8 BroccoliHut July 20, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Seriously beautiful hummus, girl! I love how you served it in a mug:)

9 Jess July 20, 2011 at 10:30 pm

those mugs are so cute!

10 Amy July 20, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Is it bad that as soon as I read the bit about some very special news, my mind jumped to something along the lines of Baby Bender? Sorry, it probably had something to do with my reading the post about your lovely nieces immediately before this post. :)

Having said that, your actual news was just as exciting. Just as a reader of healthy living blogs, it makes me so proud to see a community come together and do their part in helping someone cope with something as devastating as cancer.

Your contribution is quite fitting – love those mugs!

And, finally, that hummus looks amazing! If it rivals Sabra (also my favourite brand), I need to look into making some homemade hummus.

11 Jenn (eating bender) July 24, 2011 at 11:20 am

Your comment made me laugh — I certainly can see how that would pop into your head! It is definitely baby fever in my life right now but we’re still a few years away from a Baby Bender. ;) For now, I am just loving my nieces to pieces. And I feel the same way you do about the auction. It warms my heart that so many people are coming together to help Susan!

12 Lydia July 20, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I have been wanting to make hummas for some time now. This may be the inspiration that I needed!!

13 Marianne July 21, 2011 at 2:46 am

Hummus has been out of my life for far too long, I really need to make some again. I keep thinking of buying some at work, but then I look at the price, and just can’t justify it. Your’s looks creamy and delicious :)

14 Jenn (eating bender) July 24, 2011 at 11:21 am

It is amazing to see the cost difference between making it myself and buying it at the store. Definitely worth it to call it “homemade!”

15 withasideofhope July 21, 2011 at 7:12 am

That hummus looks delicious! I definitely want to try making one homemade. :) Those mugs are so cute!

16 Jenn (eating bender) July 24, 2011 at 11:22 am

Thank you, Hope! :)

17 IHeartVegetables July 21, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Wow your hummus looks AWESOME!! I love roasted red peppers :) Nice work!