The Great Chicago Fire

by Jenn (eating bender) on August 28, 2011

Fi-re. Fi-re. Fi-re, fi-re, fi-re. Fi-re fi-re. Fi-re fi-re. Fi-re fi-re fi-fi-re.

I’ll tell you one thing about Chicago Fire fans. They never stop cheering.

One of the cheers literally repeats the word fire over and over — and over — again. Of course, the diehard fans had good reason to celebrate last night. The team went on to beat the Colorado Rapids, 2-0!

A couple of months ago, Bobby and his friends came across a Groupon for tickets to the game. As you can see from the picture below, they were very excited about attending.

Jill joined in on the fun, as well! Both of us had never attended a major league soccer game before. It was fun to see how many passionate fans were in attendance — a lot of families and little kids with jerseys. It reminded me of how much I used to love attending professional basketball games with my own family. We had a great time!

I was also incredibly excited to debut my new Threadless t-shirt. Unfortunately I never got a full picture but in case you’re a curious word nerd like me, here is what it says:

What can I say? I’m a sucker for synonyms.

Before the game, Jill and I also had a restaurant “first” — a trip to Rick Bayless’ XOCO.

I’m not sure what I was expecting, but XOCO was a lot different than I imagined. Basically, you walk inside and stand in line to order, which you are only able to do if you are getting take out or if there is a table available for you. Once you order, you give the table number and a host or hostess seats you. The food is then brought out to you as it would be in any other restaurant. I can definitely see why people would enjoy coming here to grab a quick lunch. It’s not your typical sit down experience.

I also wasn’t fully aware of what a torta was, but now I know! I decided to order the daily special, which on Saturday is a Goat Barbacoa — definitely out of my comfort zone. It is made with braised goat, Oaxacan pasilla-tomatillo salsa, avocado, onions and cilantro. I assumed that a torta was some sort of taco shell, but in all actuality it is a sandwich.

All surprises and expectations aside, this sandwich was delicious. I will admit that when I ordered it, I thought barbacoa was pork (thanks, Chipotle) and that it would be made with goat cheese. I was a little wary when I realized it was actual goat, but honestly, it was hearty and very flavorful.

I also enjoyed a Wisconsin beer recommended by my Badger friend, Jill: Capital Brewery Island Wheat. It was a great suggestion – very smooth and light.

After dinner, we paid a visit to Pinkberry for a sweet treat. I chose the watermelon frozen yogurt (by far my favorite flavor) topped with blueberries, kiwi, dark chocolate chips and mochi.

I am so happy that Pinkberry made its way to Chicago!

It was a terrific way to spend a Saturday night. Today is a day for catching up on emails and to-dos, along with a bit of novel writing. I recently discovered a new direction for my plot and am looking forward to exploring its potential.

What have you been up to this weekend?

If you’re reading from the East Coast, I hope that both you and your families are safe.

1 Erica August 28, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Great weekens! Your shirt is too cute. Great job on the adventurous eating. Im not sure i could have tried the goat (which is silly).

2 Jenn (eating bender) August 30, 2011 at 11:07 am

Thanks, Erica! The goat was definitely daunting, but surprisingly good!

3 BroccoliHut August 28, 2011 at 8:20 pm

LOL! Love that cartoon! I am such a word nerd, so I love synonyms too:)

4 Jenn (eating bender) August 30, 2011 at 11:06 am

You would love Threadless! They have so many creative, word nerd-y shirts. :)

5 bakebooks August 28, 2011 at 9:02 pm

What a fun day! I need one of those…or ten thousand :(

What is Pinberry? Ice cream or another frozen treat (like sorbet?) We don’t have it where I live in Canda!

6 Jenn (eating bender) August 30, 2011 at 11:07 am

Pinkberry is a frozen yogurt place that started in Los Angeles and NYC. It was all the rage on shows like Gossip Girl, which of course is a guilty pleasure of mine. :)

7 withasideofhope August 29, 2011 at 7:05 am

Looks like a fun weekend! I’m jealous of the frozen yogurt! 😉

My weekend was very scary! We had to deal with Irene. We finally got power back at 2am this morning.

8 Jenn (eating bender) August 30, 2011 at 11:08 am

So sorry to hear you had to deal with Irene! Glad the power is back on and hope everyone is safe!

9 Megan (Braise The Roof) August 29, 2011 at 10:04 am

I’ve been meaning to try out Xoco- your torta looks amazing! I don’t know that I’ve actually ever eaten goat. I feel like it would be pretty similar to lamb- was it?

10 Jenn (eating bender) August 30, 2011 at 11:08 am

Yes, it was! Honestly, it’s sometimes hard for me to tell the difference between meats. Maybe that’s not very foodie-like… :)

11 Alyse @ Fit Approach August 30, 2011 at 12:32 am

Oh how I love Xoco!! Actually, anything by Rick Bayless! Frontera Grill has delicious, and surprisingly affordable, brunch. Someday I’ll go to Topolobampo (his expensive restaurant).

12 Jenn (eating bender) August 30, 2011 at 11:09 am

We wanted to try Frontera, but it was closed! We definitely will have to try the brunch sometime. Thanks for the tip!

13 Rose August 30, 2011 at 10:22 am

Love Love Love that shirt.

14 Jenn (eating bender) August 30, 2011 at 11:10 am

You would love Threadless, too! So many fun options:

15 Marianne September 2, 2011 at 2:54 am

I’ve heard that Pinkberry has just opened a location around Vancouver. Perhaps I will have to check them out one day. I hear so much about them on people’s blogs!

16 Kate @ FittingintotheWindyCity September 17, 2011 at 11:29 am

I had NO idea barbacoa was goat, my husband and I have that discussion every time we go to Chipotle (too often).