Claire Bear

by Jenn (eating bender) on January 18, 2012

…the frog? :)

We are back after a wonderful long weekend in Minnesota with the nieces pieces! Bobby and I left last Thursday afternoon for a trip to visit his parents. Our three favorite Kansans were there, too: Susan, Adam and baby Claire!

It was truly fantastic to see Claire again. Though I follow all of her adventures on Susan’s blog, it was fun to see in person just how much she’s grown. Her personality is as bubbly as it is endearing.

Claire has started eating a few solid foods, and I had the chance to attempt an applesauce tasting. We were a little unsure at first, but eventually Claire decided to give it a try and found she liked it a lot!

I imagine her thought process went something like this:

“What is this stuff?”

“I’m not sure…”

“Well, maybe…”

“OK, I’ll try it!”

After the first full bite, she was hooked. Who can blame her? I love a good jar of applesauce. :)

Speaking of solid food, my mother-in-law Barb put together quite a few feasts for us. Highlights included this chili, served with a piece of homemade olive, oat and whole wheat bread (recipe here).

A Thanksgiving-esque meal of turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing and plenty of gravy.

Bowls of fresh fruit salad.

And of course, the sweets. There was plenty of pumpkin and banana bread…

…as well as plates full of Christmas cookies, bars, chocolates and fudges. Needless to say, we ate well.

Between bouts of eating and playing games, there was plenty of quality time with our niece. Claire is starting to get the hang of sitting up on her own. I’m sure it will happen any day now!

She also enjoys reading. I Love You, Stinky Face is a particular favorite, though as you can see from this picture, she is also a fan of The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Good taste.

We channeled our inner frog and practiced strengthening our standing legs, too.

We even watched the Packers game together. Claire and I were so optimistic when we took this photo.

Sadly, my beloved Packers had an unusual (read: really bad) game, and will not be going to the Super Bowl this year. I was bummed, but it helped to have a smiling face and adorable laugh to cheer me up.

Too soon, we had to say goodbye, but Uncle Bobby and I are looking forward to seeing Claire and her mom and dad again very soon.

We couldn’t leave Minnesota without going skating! Bobby had been playing ice hockey all weekend, but on Monday it was my turn to get out and stumble glide along the ice. His parents came with us, and we had a great time getting a bit of exercise while enjoying a sunny winter day.

I don’t think I’ll be winning awards any time soon, but perhaps an “A” for effort. 😉

What is one of your favorite “winter” activities?

Skating…sledding…sitting on the couch with a mug of hot chocolate. Whatever it is, I’d like to know!

1 Cara (Twinthusiast) January 18, 2012 at 9:47 am

Adorable, per usual! Wish we were there!

2 Jenn (eating bender) January 18, 2012 at 9:48 am

We wish you were, too! Can’t wait for all of us to be together! :)

3 atenclay January 18, 2012 at 9:58 am

Claire is so cute! What a doll. Looks like you guys had a great weekend getaway!

4 Jenn (eating bender) January 20, 2012 at 10:24 am

Thanks, Angela! It was great. :)

5 Kristie January 18, 2012 at 10:49 am

What a cutie that Claire is! I love that when I married Chris I got instant nieces (4) and a nephew :).

Favorite winter activities? Snowshoeing is one, although I haven’t been since last year and don’t own snowshoes. Have you ever tried it? But hot chocolate w/ marshmallows after a cold walk home from work is always an excellent activity in my book!

6 Jenn (eating bender) January 20, 2012 at 10:20 am

I have gone snowshoeing before, and I loved it, too! I wish people in the city walked around in them on snowy days. :)

7 Melissa @ TryingToHeal January 18, 2012 at 10:49 am

Ah, what a fun weekend Jenn!

Oh, I haven’t been ice skating in years! I kind of miss it! But winter activities…I’d have to say staying warm under a fleece blanket. lol!

8 Jenn (eating bender) January 20, 2012 at 10:20 am

Fleece blankets are definitely a plus – haha!

9 Erica January 18, 2012 at 11:25 am

ah! Peanuts are so so cute! Claire is around Kaylin’s age…so it was really fun for me to read this post. It is awesome to watch them eat solids, isn’t it? Glad you two had fun! I’m not much for winter activities haha. Luckily, we haven’t had much winter around here

10 Jenn (eating bender) January 20, 2012 at 10:21 am

It’s so much fun to watch them eat! And yes, although I do enjoy the occasional winter activity, I look forward to the warmer days even more. :)

11 Megan (Braise The Roof) January 18, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I haven’t gone ice skating in years. I have to say, my favorite winter sport is definitely skiing, but I don’t go as often as I’d like (considering this IS Illinois). Watching the snow fall from inside is a close second. :) Your niece is flippin’ adorable, by the way.

12 Jenn (eating bender) January 20, 2012 at 10:22 am

Haha, yes, definitely not too much skiing in the flattest area I’ve ever lived. :) Luckily we’re getting to watch the snow fall today!

13 Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) January 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Can curling up by the fire reading a book be my favorite winter activity? Other than that, I’d say snowboarding. :)

Food looks SO good! Baby is too cute!

14 Jenn (eating bender) January 20, 2012 at 10:22 am

Curling up by the fire while reading is definitely a winter activity in my book!

15 BroccoliHut January 18, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Ah man, I haven’t been ice skating in years! Looks like fun.
My favorite winter activities include skiing and good ol’ sledding–not that we get enough snow around here to do that!

16 Jenn (eating bender) January 20, 2012 at 10:23 am

I haven’t been sledding in ages, but I love it, too!

17 munchkrennland January 18, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Great post, Aunt Jenn!! We miss you guys already! Claire says that you should come to KC to be her personal applesauce feeding buddy. :)

18 Jenn (eating bender) January 20, 2012 at 10:23 am

I would love to be her applesauce buddy. :) Miss you!

19 Em Marie January 18, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Such a sweet baby! All of those eats look yummy – especially the chili!

20 Jenn (eating bender) January 20, 2012 at 10:23 am

Thanks, Em Marie!

21 Emily January 18, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I wish I was in Minnesota!! I’m from Minneapolis and I miss it a lot!

22 Jenn (eating bender) January 20, 2012 at 10:24 am

That’s awesome! I’m from Eden Prairie originally. I miss it, too!