Won’t You Be Mine?

by Jenn (eating bender) on February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine’s Day!

A big thank you to the Benders, who inspired today’s #FebPhotoADay – “heart” – with their Valentine’s Day package. The chocolate-covered strawberries were beautiful! Not to mention delicious.

We had a great holiday here in Chicago. Though we technically celebrated at Wildfire last Friday, I couldn’t help but cook something special up tonight. Originally I was going to make risotto-a-go-go, but at the last minute we switched to roasted red pepper pasta from Decio.

I combined the pasta – boiled for 5-6 minutes – with chicken sausage, shrimp, mushrooms and real red peppers, cooked together with a bit of white wine marinade. It made for the perfect Valentine’s feast.

Speaking of white wine…

This pinot gris from Milbrandt Vineyards was fantastic. It was part of an anniversary gift from my Aunt Barb, who lives in Washington. We loved it!

After dinner, we spent a bit of time catching up on our DVR with chocolate-covered strawberries.

It was a great evening with my husband. Happy Valentine’s Day, Bobby! I think you are bear-y cute.

How do you feel about Valentine’s Day?

I loved this post from Danielle because it truly captured what the day means to me. I love celebrating with Bobby, but it’s also a chance for me to tell friends and family just how much I love them, too.

That includes my adorable nieces – Caroline, Kelly and Claire! You three are amazing. :)

1 Brittany February 14, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I’m pretty sure cooking dinner at home is the best way to celebrate Valentine’s Day! And I definitely agree about spreading the love to friends and family on Valentine’s Day – it’s not just for couples. :)

2 Jenn (eating bender) February 14, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Couldn’t agree more, Britt! And those friends most certainly include you – happy birthday once again! I hope you had an absolutely spectacular day! :)

3 Erica February 15, 2012 at 2:34 am

Aww! That bear picture of bobby melts my heart!! Mmmm to the berries-such a great gift! I really enjoy vday. The candy and doing nice things for loved ones are the best parts :)

4 Jenn (eating bender) February 15, 2012 at 10:09 pm

It melted my heart, too! I’m glad we share similar V-day sentiments. :)

5 Cara (Twinthusiast) February 15, 2012 at 8:31 am

Oh the Benders really know how to do chocolate strawberries! So glad you guys had a great night :)

6 Jenn (eating bender) February 15, 2012 at 10:10 pm

We just can’t get enough of ’em!

7 Christina February 15, 2012 at 9:09 am

Looks like a fantastic meal and a great night! We opted to stay in and order pizza last night and also catch up on our dvr. I think Valentine’s day helps remind us of what really should matter 365 days a year – setting time aside to be with the one you love… with some extra flowers and goodies thrown in 😉

8 Christina February 15, 2012 at 9:14 am

oh! and when I read your title it made the theme song to the PBS show Mr Rogers’ Neighborhood pop in my head. “It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor.. won’t you be mine” ok.. geek moment over :)

9 Jenn (eating bender) February 15, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Haha – you’re so right! I bet that is where I subconsciously got it from. I love Mr. Rogers!!!

10 Jenn (eating bender) February 15, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Sounds like a fantastic night! I couldn’t agree more with your thoughts on Valentine’s Day, too.

11 Megan (Braise The Roof) February 15, 2012 at 9:49 am

I have to say, Valentine’s Day is the MOST fun when it revolves around little kids. More fun than fixating on whether or not you happen to be in a relationship, anyway. :) Glad you had a nice day!

12 Jenn (eating bender) February 15, 2012 at 10:12 pm

That is so true – as evidenced by the fact that I went ga-ga over the photos of my nieces!

13 Erin February 15, 2012 at 10:11 am

Bear-y cute! I adore that :) What a wonderful day for you and your fam. xo Erin

14 Jenn (eating bender) February 15, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Haha, thank you, Erin! <3

15 Melissa @TryingtoHeal February 15, 2012 at 10:29 am

Ah, fantastic dinner and dessert! i’m not a big v-day girl because I think it’s so commercialized but it’s fun in that I get to spoil some of the ones I love a bit. In fact, last night I made Whit and his parents chocolate covered strawberries!

16 Jenn (eating bender) February 15, 2012 at 10:13 pm

It’s definitely commercialized, but fun to have an excuse to make someone smile! How awesome that you made them strawberries – they must love you even more – if that’s even possible, since you’re fabulous enough as it is. 😉

17 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers February 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I’m not a huge Vday fan, but I’ll take any excuse to spend a little extra time with the hubby.

The meal looks great!

18 Jenn (eating bender) February 15, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Any excuse to spend more time with the hubby is great by me, too. Thanks, Tiff! :)

19 Kate A. February 15, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Is there a place to buy Decio pasta in Chicago or do you order yours online?

20 Jenn (eating bender) February 15, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Great question, Kate! Right now they are only sold in Arizona stores or online: http://www.deciopasta.com/. Shipping is fairly reasonable, and if you’re intrigued I can promise you that the taste is well worth it!