My Newest Fitness Goal

by Jenn (eating bender) on March 15, 2012

Last night I tweeted and Instagram-ed a picture from our first lakeside run of the spring season. The weather was glorious yesterday, and I couldn’t help but stop at one of my favorite “bends” (near the Adler Planetarium) to show you one of the best views of the city.

What the photo failed to mention is why I was out running. Yes, it’s one of my favorite ways to exercise, but there was more to it than just a joy run and I’m excited to tell you the reason.

Drumroll, please…

Bobby and I will be running the 2012 North Shore Half Marathon!

It still hasn’t fully hit me, but I am equal parts excited and terrified. One of my goals for this year is to run two half marathons, and this race will get me “half” way there. I was debating between several different races in Chicago, but when I heard how scenic the North Shore race is, I decided that venturing out of the city was the best way to go.

Fortunately I will have a running buddy, as Bobby has agreed to tackle the race with me! Last night was our first training run. I created the plan using Runner’s World Smart Coach, which I highly recommend for any race, no matter what the distance.

To keep us accountable, I am sharing this training plan with all of you. As soon as I hit “publish” on the post I will be adding it to my Workouts page, which is newly updated with past fitness journeys, plus more background on my overall philosophy on exercise and how that philosophy came to be.

I’d love to hear your feedback on the page if you’re interested in checking it out. Let me know if there is anything else that would be helpful to add. Without further ado, I present to you my North Shore Half Marathon training plan!

Training Plan: North Shore Half Marathon

Note: The days of the week not listed in the below tables are meant to be either rest/recovery or cross-training days. I plan to take Mondays as rest days and do cross-training (namely the elliptical, spin bike or weight training) on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

WEEK 1: 15 Mi

Sun Jun 3 Long Run Dist: 12 Mi @10:16

WEEK 13: 23 Mi
Tue Jun 5 Easy Run Dist: 3 Mi @10:14
Wed Jun 6 Easy Run Dist: 3 Mi @10:14
Thu Jun 7 Speedwork Dist: 4 Mi, Warm; 2×1600 in 8:11 w/800 jogs; Cool
Sun Jun 10 Race Day 13.1 Mi @8:52 Time: 1:56:

It’s going to be an exciting few months. If there is anyone out there who is doing the race or is interested in running it, definitely let me know! I would love to see you at the starting line.

What is your current fitness goal?

No turning back for me now. Here we goooooooo! :)

Abrazos,

1 Rose March 15, 2012 at 2:36 pm

YAYYYYY! You guys are going to rock it! Go Jenn and Bobby! I love looking at different people’s training schedules. I’m doing the Runner’s World Beginner Guide, and it has be running similar days but varying mileage. My half is May 6, less than 60 days away, eep!

2 Jenn (eating bender) March 16, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Thank you, Rose!!!! You made me even more excited. :) Your race is coming up quick – that’s awesome! I know you are going to rock it.

3 Jess March 15, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Yay Jenn! So glad to hear you’re training for another half!!! I hope it’s a great race and that you have fun training with Bobby!
Jess recently posted..What To do When Your A Race Gets Cancelled?My Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) March 16, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Thank you, Jess!! Your support makes me even more excited. :)

5 Kristie March 15, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Woo hoo you go! That’s around what my time goal will be for my June half (Rock ‘n Sole Summerfest, on the 23rd). I’m more nervous for the heat than anything, especially with how warm it is now!! :)

6 Jenn (eating bender) March 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Oh my – I totally want to run Summerfest sometime! I love Summerfest! My parents used to take me there every summer when I was little and I danced on the picnic tables, haha. :) I’m nervous for the heat, too. But we’re going to rock it.

7 Lauren March 15, 2012 at 4:52 pm

The new site it beautiful by the way! And congrats on the new goal!!! You’ll do great!

8 Jenn (eating bender) March 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Thank you, Lauren!! :)

9 Erica March 15, 2012 at 5:22 pm

So fun that you two are doing this together! Looks like a gorgeous spot to run too. I need to think of a new fitness goal….
Erica recently posted..Slacker & Kitchen Scale GiveawayMy Profile

10 Jenn (eating bender) March 16, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Thank you, Erica!!

11 Melissa @TryingtoHeal March 15, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Ohhhhh I’m so excited for you Jenn!!!! Training for 1/2 marathons are the best! I’m jealous!

My fitness goal right now is to get my hip better so I can run…and strengthen it in the meantime because that’s what it needs to heal!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on “I Speak for the Trees” -The Lorax by MelissaMy Profile

12 Jenn (eating bender) March 16, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I’m sending positive hip vibes your way, lady! I can’t wait for the next time we get to run a race together. It’s going to happen! :)

13 deva at deva by definition March 16, 2012 at 9:41 am

Right now, I am less than 8 weeks away from my first half marathon – which is my bigget goal of the year. My second goal of the year is just to stay in shape for my wedding next year!
deva at deva by definition recently posted..A Sense of NormalcyMy Profile

14 Jenn (eating bender) March 16, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Those are both fantastic goals! Best of luck with your final weeks of training – and hurray for your wedding! :)

15 Caroline March 16, 2012 at 11:03 am

Woohoo! Congrats on registering! I love scenic races : ) I’m running a half marathon tomorrow (ek!) but after that my fitness goal is to get back into regular yoga!
Caroline recently posted..The game planMy Profile

16 Jenn (eating bender) March 16, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Good luck tomorrow, Caroline!!!!

17 BroccoliHut March 16, 2012 at 11:47 am

What a fantastic goal! I think it’s a great idea to train with your significant other–it creates an added dimension to your bond somehow. If we can ever figure out a time when one of us isn’t injured I’d love to run a race with Seth someday.
BroccoliHut recently posted..Lunchroom FavesMy Profile

18 Jenn (eating bender) March 16, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I definitely agree! This is the first time Bobby and I will be training together, so it promises to be an adventure. I have no doubt you and Seth will both be injury-free at the same time someday. :)

19 Shannon March 19, 2012 at 11:40 am

You guys will totally kill that race!!! Have fun training, and don’t do anything new on race day ;)
Shannon recently posted..ChimichurriMy Profile

20 Michelle@PeachyPalate April 18, 2012 at 8:52 am

Are the paces in km or miles? Sorry I’m a running novice, just getting in to it. Have my first 10 k in June.
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Seasonal EatsMy Profile

21 Jenn (eating bender) April 18, 2012 at 10:59 am

No worries, Michelle! These paces are in miles. I really wish I knew more about km other than 5k = 3.1 mi, 10k = 6.2 mi, etc. :) So exciting that you’re running a 10k in June. Good luck with your training!

22 Michelle@Peachy Palate April 18, 2012 at 2:09 pm

God you run fast!!!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Seasonal EatsMy Profile

23 Ross April 26, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Good luck with all the training and make sure you beat him ;-)
Ross recently posted..Beginner Half Marathon Training PlansMy Profile

24 Going Here December 11, 2013 at 8:36 am

I love looking through your web sites. Appreciate
it!