by Jenn (eating bender) on March 18, 2012

Thanks for all the sweet comments on my blogiversary post. I’m glad you are enjoying the giveaway! I’ve gotten a lot of great book ideas already and am also planning to write a book review for The Hunger Games trilogy this week.

Bobby and I had a relatively low-key St. Patrick’s Day weekend. Of course, I did break out the green in honor of both the holiday and the #MarchPhotoADay challenge.

Would you have expected anything less than Green Bay Packers “green” from me? :)

The highlight of our Saturday was a gorgeous walk outside. It was another warm, sunny day in Chicago – this heat wave has been kind to us. We passed many spirited people who were decked out in shamrock necklaces, and perhaps the best green of all? Budding plants. Spring is nearly here, and I couldn’t be more excited.

The rest of the day was spent watching a lot of basketball and eating a lot of quinoa.

This recipe was essentially the same as the filling for the quinoa-stuffed roasted green peppers, with a few substitutions. Namely, we omitted the stir-fry sauce in favor of a white wine and herb marinade, and instead of tomatoes we used sliced red peppers. The addition of shrimp rounded out the dish with some extra protein. I could eat this every day.

After dinner we watched a movie and tucked in relatively early. Our lack of pub crawling may not have been the norm in Chicago yesterday, but our bodies thanked us, especially upon waking up this morning for an eight-mile training run.

Same view as our last run, with the exception of daytime skies and a victory dance at having been able to actually run eight miles nonstop. I honestly can’t remember the last time that happened – probably the Phoenix Half Marathon!

Needless to say, I am feeling it tonight!

Other highlights from this week include a fun concert with my friend Lauren on Thursday. Ironically, I was also sporting green for the occasion.

We went to see Dave Barnes, who is as amazing in concert as he is on his albums. I’ve been to a couple of his concerts now and each one is entertaining. Not only is he a talented musician, he is also hilarious. The joking around between sets had the audience laughing for most of the show.

Dave’s opener was Andrew Ripp, who is fun to listen to, as well. Particularly when he decides to break out Mariah Carey’s “Always Be My Baby” as a tribute to his first childhood song (before his voice changed, haha). I have to say, he did the song justice!

We had a great time, even though Lauren is battling through a cold. Get well soon!

In keeping with the randomness of this post, I feel I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you all that we experienced a CRAZY sun shower on Friday night! The skies were blue, and yet the rain started coming down fast. There was even lightning and thunder. I’ve seen “drizzle” sun showers before, but never one where it was literally storming while the sky was clear. Bobby can attest that I was bubbling over with excitement…and I usually don’t like storms!

Quite the spring we’ve had so far. I’ll take it!

Last but not least, here are the rest of this week’s #MarchPhotoADay challenges.

March 12: I’ve tried and failed at chopsticks many times. Then I found “fork” sticks.

March 13: A “sign” from the Northwestern NIT game vs. Akron! The Cats won, but unfortunately lost their next game against Washington, thereby ending the season. Oh well.

March 14: There were two photo contenders for “clouds,” but this one won out. So beautiful!

March 15: Winky (the car) and I jammed to 101.9 on our way to the concert. Not driving while photographing, I promise. Also, please tell me I’m not alone in personifying my car.

March 16: I’ve got the “sunglasses” and tank top. Very grateful for this warm Chicago weather.

March 18: My favorite corner of my home – the bookcase! And hurray for The Hunger Games!

Is anyone else as excited as I am for the movie to come out?

I think I’ve jumped around enough for one post. Hope you all have a wonderful start to your week!

Did you do anything fun for St. Patrick’s Day weekend?

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I spent my St. Patrick’s Day at work and then sleeping for about 14 hours. Apparently I was exhausted. But today was started with a mimosa and relaxation. Couldn’t ask for anything more. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..I woke up with a headache…My Profile

2 Jenn (eating bender) March 20, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Glad you were able to catch up on some much needed sleep! Yum…mimosas. :)

3 Erica March 19, 2012 at 7:24 am

That picture of you in the sunglasses is so cute! It makes me smile. And that quinoa mix makes me hungry- yum! Glad the run went well! Nothing too exciting here! Running & walking outside, a little shopping, mostly taking care of Kaylin
Erica recently posted..Diner Breakfast SundayMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) March 20, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Haha – thank you! :)

5 Chelsea March 19, 2012 at 10:30 am

Sounds like we’re definitely enjoying the same weather! I had a lovely cook-a-thon on St. Patrick’s Day with family and friends, and the beautiful weather certainly kept everyone in high spirits. On a side note, I am looking forward to The Hunger Games movie as well; I bought the books for my brother’s birthday present in a sneaky attempt for them to be passed to me after he has enjoyed them. My family loves to share books. :)
Chelsea recently posted..Skinny Pants DanceMy Profile

6 Jenn (eating bender) March 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm

How awesome that your family shares books! I honestly can’t wait for the movie. I haven’t been this excited since the last Harry Potter (though of course, that was also bittersweet). :)

7 Cara (Twinthusiast) March 19, 2012 at 11:11 am

Love the sun shower and your super rad sunglasses.
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..If You’re Lucky Enough to Be Irish…My Profile

8 Shannon March 19, 2012 at 11:47 am

happy blogiversary! It’s crazy to look at my old posts… i kind of want to delete some :) I enjoyed yesterdays weather with a 5k in the morning and bike ride in the afternoon. then it was just sitting outside with a glass of homemade hard cider–perfect!
Shannon recently posted..ChimichurriMy Profile

9 Jenn (eating bender) March 20, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Don’t delete them!!!! :) Thanks for the blogiversary wishes. So glad that I “know” you and hope we can meet in person someday. Sounds like a great weekend!

10 Kate @ Cupcake Runner March 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I love 101.9 FM! I just moved down to the Chicago area after getting married a few months ago and my husband got me hooked on their podcasts. Melissa just cracks me up with her comments. I also have to say that I love the Green Bay Green…it’s hard to be a Packer fan in Bear country and I’m realizing that! Thankfully my husband is with me on the Packers Green so I’m not too alone. :)
Kate @ Cupcake Runner recently posted..Weekend RewindMy Profile

11 Jenn (eating bender) March 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Woohoo! If you ever come into the city, let me know! Melissa cracks me up, too, haha. My husband is a Vikings fan (we’re both from MN, but my dad’s family is from Milwaukee which is where I got the Packers gene). That said, he is slowly coming around to the Pack. I can tell because he’s starting to get as excited as I do about their games. :)

12 Raquel @ Toned, Tan, Fit & Techie March 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm

nothing fun this weekend for me! Beautiful pic of Chicago! I too have been having a quinoa overload this week, and it will continue. Up next will be Red Beans and Rice (Quinoa). Love that dish and would love to use quinoa instead of rice. And cute glasses, I have them in neon green. :)
Raquel @ Toned, Tan, Fit & Techie recently posted..A Few Things FridayMy Profile

13 Jenn (eating bender) March 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Yummmmm! That sounds delicious! :)

14 emily (a nutritionist eats) March 20, 2012 at 10:05 am

My husband would love your St. Patrick’s Day gear. :)
Love the Chicago views, gorgeous!

15 Nicole April 4, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Chicago is a tremendous place especially when we celebrate St. Patrick’s day!
Nicole recently posted..http://muranoplace.comMy Profile