The Boy With The Bread

by Jenn (eating bender) on March 27, 2012

Will that be the last Hunger Games reference from me?

I’m making no promises. I can promise, however, that meal planning is off to a good start.

For yesterday’s lunch I threw together ate my planned bowl of miso soup.

I made it Mama Bender style, with mushrooms and a dollop of “sour cream,” aka Greek yogurt.

Dinner was a contribution from Bobby, who decided black bean burgers (and an extra salmon burger for him) would be a delicious idea. I agreed until I realized that we did not have hamburger buns.

The conversation went something like this.

• Bobby: What’s wrong with bread?
  • Me: Nothing is wrong with bread. It’s just not a hamburger bun.
  • Bobby: It will taste the same.
  • Me: But it won’t be as photogenic.

Note to self: That’s when you know you’ve been blogging too long just long enough.

He obviously started cooking the burgers anyway. A few minutes later, he looked over at me with a confused expression. The conversation went something like this.

• Bobby: What are you doing over there?
  • Me (holding a glass and two slices of bread): I’m cutting out a hamburger bun.
  • Bobby: Please tell your blog friends I had no part in this.
  • Me: You’re going to be jealous. And I still get to eat the crust.

I’ll be honest – it was a darn good hamburger bun. Until I realized it was too small for the burger.

It’s under there somewhere. You can bet Bobby didn’t let me hear the end of that one.

Still, these were amazing. Morningstar Farms Chipotle Black Bean Burgers are the best boxed variety out there, in my opinion. I know, I know – it wasn’t a real recipe. But it was quick, easy and planned (by Bobby). That’s a step in the right direction. He “grilled” the burgers in a pan on the stove, sprinkling them with Worcestershire sauce. Mushrooms were also cooked in the marinade. If you haven’t noticed, we eat a lot of mushrooms.

It was a great Monday night meal – much fancier than scrambled eggs or an almond butter and jam sandwich. Though let it be known that those meals also have a special place in my heart.

Have you ever done something, uh, “extraordinary” to make a food picture look better?

1 julie March 27, 2012 at 7:41 am

gahhhh the hunger gamessss hahaha i cant stop thinking about it! what did you think of the movie compared to the book?? i LOVE talking baout it!

also i need a new book recommendation! what are you loving right now? something light and fun? xoxo

2 Jenn (eating bender) March 29, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Hurray for the Hunger Games! So because I am OBSESSED, I re-read the book after I saw the movie. :) While I wish they would have kept some more of the details, I thought they did a really good job of adapting it! The thing I missed the most, though, was Katniss’ inner monologue, which of course is something only the books can provide! What about you?!?!

As for a new book recommendation…have you read Divergent by Veronica Roth? It’s another dystopian book turned into a series. The first one is out now and the second one comes out in May. I highly recommend them!

3 Stephanie March 27, 2012 at 8:42 am

And I thought my husband and I were the only ones who argued over buns vs. bread! Never thought to cut out a bun out of bread, though… :) Looks yummy!

4 Jenn (eating bender) March 29, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Definitely not the only ones, Stephanie! :)

5 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident March 27, 2012 at 8:52 am

That is a hilarious story! Way to get creative with making buns!

6 Jenn (eating bender) March 29, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Haha! Thank you. :)

7 Erica March 27, 2012 at 9:47 am

hahahhahhahha- that is awesome :)
Erica recently posted..Pioneer Woman’s MeatballsMy Profile

8 Jenn (eating bender) March 29, 2012 at 7:59 pm
9 emily (a nutritionist eats) March 27, 2012 at 9:49 am

Haha, that is hilarious. Good idea though just cutting out the bun from bread! I’m going to try that on my husband!
I’m also going to try a little sour cream in miso soup…sounds good!
emily (a nutritionist eats) recently posted..old school superfoodsMy Profile

10 Jenn (eating bender) March 29, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Awesome! Let me know if he has a similar, “what on Earth are you doing?” reaction. :)

11 Chelsea March 27, 2012 at 10:04 am

I hear you–I definitely take a lot more time making my food pretty now that I’m taking pictures of it. I’ve even started layering my orange slices and pickle chips in photos for better presentation. :)

Also, I want you to know that you inspired me to finally read ‘The Hunger Games!’ I downloaded it to my Kindle last night for the low, low price of $5, and I’m looking forward to starting it on my lunch break. Cheers!
Chelsea recently posted..Winter Mo(u)rnMy Profile

12 Jenn (eating bender) March 29, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I love it! Oh the things we do for blogging. :) And hurray for The Hunger Games! Hope you are enjoying it so far!

13 Susan March 27, 2012 at 2:00 pm

hahahaha…EXCELLENT hg reference. :) I also found myself laughing about the bread vs. buns…does that run in the family or something? Everyone knows you can’t eat a burger on regular bread! I make Adam stop and buy buns whenever we get BBQ. :)

14 Jenn (eating bender) March 29, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I thought you might appreciate it. :) That is hilarious about the buns and barbecue. I am going to have to reinforce the distinction of bread vs. bun if it runs in the family!

15 Emily @LivingLongfellow March 27, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I eat miso soup all the time and love it! Never added greek yogurt. Will be trying that next. I like throwing some kimchi and red pepper paste in there and it’s spicy.

16 Jenn (eating bender) March 29, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Oohh that sounds yummy, too! I will have to try that next time. :)

17 BroccoliHut March 27, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Haha! That totally sounds like a conversation I would have with Seth. i do all sorts of crazy things for the sake of a good picture. I puree spinach into guacamole to make it greener; I stand on furniture for the “perfect” angle; I take my breakfast out on the patio in 30 degree weather just to capture the natural light. I could go on and on!
BroccoliHut recently posted..The Broccoli MandateMy Profile

18 Jenn (eating bender) March 29, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I loved reading about all the things you do for that “perfect” shot. It certainly pays off with your beautiful food photos! :)