by Jenn (eating bender) on April 17, 2012

Happy Tax Day! (Never has there been more of an oxymoron.)

I’m very fortunate to have a CPA for a mom who spent hours and energy on our business and personal taxes this year. Mama Bender is truly the best, and I am grateful for her talent with numbers and TurboTax software.

Still…taxes? I don’t like ’em. I know we all have to do them, but unlike most “we’re all in this together” scenarios, that doesn’t make it any more fun. In fact, taxes were the subject of today’s #PhotoADayApril: something you don’t like. How appropriate.

Speaking of which, the April challenge has been a lot of fun. Here’s what has been going on behind the scenes on my end. I’d love to know more about how the challenge is going for you, too.

April 1: Kicking things off with a “reflection” from my favorite day.

April 2: The “color” of spring in Chicago. These tulips run up and down State Street.

April 3: My “mail” is typically an eclectic mix of documents for my business, magazines and coupons.

April 4: This one was a no-brainer. Bobby is the only person who has the power to “make me happy” to wake up at 6:30 a.m. every weekday, just to say goodbye as he heads to the office. Especially given the fact that I am not a morning person.

April 5: I couldn’t wait to see these “tiny” toes in Kansas City!

April 6: Sweet potato “lunch” – delicious and nutritious!

April 7: Kelly has a fun “shadow” – her name is Claire. :)

April 8: Favorite things “inside my wallet”: an expired Wildcard and a picture of one cool guy.

April 9: A “younger me” – rocking the hula girl swimsuit.

April 10: The “cold” metal of the printing press. Such a fantastic invention.

April 11: Love “eating breakfast” at this table, especially on mornings with sunlight peeking through.

April 12: Climbing the “stairs” after a 4-mile training run. Nothing like a little added burn.

April 13: I “found” this magazine while organizing – it’s my grandma’s from August 1957. Love the husband headline. Monster or mouse?

April 14: This bowl of minestrone summed up “how I felt.” Sore throat and under the weather.

April 15: No “sunset” to be had in Chicago so I borrowed a past favorite from Arizona.

April 16: We are quite proud of our “flowers.” Who says I don’t have a green thumb?

And who says cactus are the easiest plants to take care of, requiring water once every few weeks?

Not me.

There you have it! Have you been keeping up with the #PhotoADayApril challenge this month? There’s still time to join in! I have no doubt there may be a May challenge, as well.

Thanks also to everyone who provided tips on my pork post. It seems as though the key is brining the pork first, which now that you told me makes perfect sense. I also remembered (belatedly) that Mama Bender brined her stuffed pork chops and feel a little ridiculous that I didn’t think to ask her in the first place. Live and learn. I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes next time. Other great tips I received were to buy bone-in chops and to avoid overcooking. All great ideas.

Hope your week is off to a great start! Taking advantage of any tax day freebies?*

*Thanks for the link, Susan!

1 Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) April 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I love your photo challenge!

You’re lucky to have a mom as a CPA! :) Luckily, I turned my taxes in back in the end of January. I love getting that refund.
Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted..Brew Review: Sierra Nevada HoptimumMy Profile

2 Jenn (eating bender) April 17, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Thanks, Kelli! You early bird you – I’m so impressed you got them done in January! Refunds are the best. :)

3 Cara (Twinthusiast) April 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Um, monster or mouse?! Haha.
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..PoolsideMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) April 17, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Haha it’s ridiculous! I haven’t read the article yet but I can imagine it is entertaining.

5 Megan (Braise The Roof) April 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Have you seen all the tax day specials restaurants are running today? (extended happy hours, etc.) It’s kind of cracking me up. Although, I COULD use a drink. :) Great photos- and I love that you have a cactus!

6 Jenn (eating bender) April 17, 2012 at 5:27 pm

YES! It’s part of the reason I remembered it was tax day, haha – my inbox is full of Uncle Sam Specials. They are tempting… :) And glad you like the cactus!

7 Mama Bender April 17, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I’m not offended that you forgot to ask me….actually quite the opposite because now I’m considered a source for cooking….who knew that could ever happen 😉 Love all the pix, but I’ll have to sleep with one eye open when on the couch because that one cactus looks a little scary :) <3

8 Jenn (eating bender) April 17, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Your comment made me laugh out loud. :) The cactus is friendly, not scary! He’s welcoming you into a warm embrace. You and the birds from your cactus.

9 Melanee April 18, 2012 at 10:25 am

Love the photo challenge idea and I particularly adore the photo of you rocking the hula girl swimsuit. Oh so sweet!
Melanee recently posted..To a Charmed Life: Freedom from the PastMy Profile

10 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Thank you, Melanee! :)

11 Kate April 18, 2012 at 9:38 pm

LOVE these shots, Jenn! If you’re up for a May photo challenge – I am all in!
Kate recently posted..Wednesday WisdomMy Profile

12 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Awesome! Done and done. Can’t wait!

13 Baking Serendipity April 18, 2012 at 9:42 pm

That old magazine is so cool!

14 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Thanks, Sarah!

15 Carol April 19, 2012 at 4:40 am

Nice pictures! I love your picture especially the reflection one :) your stunning!
Carol recently posted..authentic Murano glassMy Profile

16 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Aw, thank you very much, Carol!

17 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 19, 2012 at 9:45 am

I didn’t realize how difficult the Photo a Day Challenge would be….I have some catching up to do! Yours look fantastic. And I love that old magazine. :)
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Worth ItMy Profile

18 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I totally hear you! I think I have it ingrained in me only because it has been one of the first things I look at upon waking up for the past three months, haha! Now if I could only apply a habit like that to several other areas of my life… 😉 Thanks, Chelsea!

19 Val April 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm

During tax time it can be so hard not to stress eat. But at least tax time means that it’s springtime!
Val recently posted..Stress-Free Ways to Slim Down for SummerMy Profile

20 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Agreed on both counts! :)

21 Susan April 26, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Loved all the April photos! Claire was excited to be in them. :) Oh, and you’re welcome, belatedly, for tax day freebies…haha. Mmm…Arby’s….