Keep Calm And Eat A Cupcake

by Jenn (eating bender) on April 22, 2012

Sometimes in life, you just need to keep calm and eat a cupcake.

A strawberry shortcake cupcake from Swirlz, to be exact. And while you’re at it, you may as well see what else they have to offer. Twixie is a good example. Chocolate cake, shortbread cookie, salted caramel buttercream and caramel drizzle. Check all of the above.

We’ve come this far…why not go for the trifecta? Two words: banana chocolate.

Sadly, these cupcakes weren’t all for me, but I did get a good bite of each one and rest assured, I felt incredibly calm while taste testing. That is, until the inevitable sugar rush took over. I am not responsible for what happened after that.

When I wasn’t feasting on buttercream, I was fascinated by the city. Ever wonder how they get those company names to appear on the tops of the buildings? Well, wonder no more. A helicopter sweeps into the street and carries each letter through the air.

It was a bit surreal to see a “flying E,” but very cool. Judging by the number of people on the street, I was not the only one who felt that way. The curiosity got to me and I discovered that Unitrin changed their name to Kemper. And that might be the first and last time I link to an insurance company on a food blog!

Although the weekend is coming to a close, I am extremely excited about the week ahead. I’ll be en route to Arizona to participate in another year of Mountain Magic (see last year’s recaps here and here). I can’t wait to play golf with Mama Bender and see if we can take the championship that eluded us by one stroke last year.

Wish us luck – and see you in AZ! :)

How was your weekend? What did you do?

1 Cara (Twinthusiast) April 22, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Want. Cupcake. Now.
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..Five Under Five and One Great AuthorMy Profile

2 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Now I’m craving a cupcake again!

3 emily (a nutritionist eats) April 22, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Twix cupcake?!?! Sign me up!
emily (a nutritionist eats) recently living inspirationMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:36 pm

It was amazing!!

5 Erica April 23, 2012 at 3:44 am

That banana cupcake…still getting me! YUM! Have SO much fun in AZ!
Erica recently posted..Weekend & Pawley’s PorchMy Profile

6 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:37 pm

The banana was my favorite. :) Thanks, Erica!

7 Lauren April 23, 2012 at 5:53 am

Those cupcakes almost look too beautiful to eat. :)
Lauren recently posted..The Weekender {4.20-4.22}My Profile

8 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I agree! It’s hard to dig into something so pretty…but I forced myself. :)

9 Karla April 23, 2012 at 6:40 am

Those are the fanciest cupcakes I’ve ever seen! Safe travels and best of luck Jenn (and Mama Bender)! Have so much fun in AZ. :)
Karla recently posted..I Eat Half-Marathons (and Pancakes) For BreakfastMy Profile

10 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Thank you, Karla!!

11 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 23, 2012 at 6:57 am

I really wanted to check out Swirlz yesterday when I was in the area but they’re closed on Sundays- bummer! That twixie cupcake looks amazing!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Sunday ThingsMy Profile

12 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:38 pm

You will definitely have to go sometime soon! And let me know what you think of the Twixie cupcake!

13 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident April 23, 2012 at 8:23 am

Flying E’s!! That is so cool. I would of never known how they did that. I can’t believe they do it in the middle of the day with people all over the streets. It seems kind of dangerous. But still, super cool!

14 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I know! To their credit, they did clear the whole block below the building, but the workers who were down there helping the letters onto the hooks of the helicopter were just standing there like it was no big deal! I guess they were confident in their work of securing them, which is a good thing!

15 Carol April 23, 2012 at 9:17 am

wow. that cupcakes are really cool and looks so delicious and yum YUMMY!
Carol recently posted..authentic Murano glassMy Profile

16 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:40 pm

They were definitely yummy!! :)

17 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 23, 2012 at 11:54 am

Oh my gosh, those lovely cupcakes are making me rethink my commitment to limit sugar this week. Good thing I’m far away! My weekend was lovely, despite the fact that I did not get to experience a flying E.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..5 Easy Ways to Gain Weight…Fast!My Profile

18 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Haha! There’s always next week, right? :) Glad you had a good weekend – hope your week has been fantastic, too!

19 Megan (Braise The Roof) April 23, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Oh man, those cupcakes look incredible! I’m having a major sugar craving right now (which is killing me because there are donuts in my break room as I type this…).
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Quick and Healthy Buffalo ShrimpMy Profile

20 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I can’t decide which is the best cupcake place in Chicago – do you have a favorite?

21 Melissa @TryingtoHeal April 23, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Woman, those cupcakes look AMAZING. I’ve been trying to find a cupcake place at my new residence but I haven’t been able to find anything yet…sigh. Guess I’ll have to come to Chicago for them, right?

Have fun in AZ! I can’t believe I’d only be about 3-4 hours away from you where I live! So close yet so far!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Hanamatsuri by BizMy Profile

22 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Please come to Chicago! I’ll supply endless cupcakes! So close yet so far, indeed. Miss you!

23 Val April 24, 2012 at 10:25 am

That first cupcake looks like a fantasy! Have a great trip
Val recently posted..What to Eat for Breakfast to Lose Weight (Even if You Hate Breakfast)My Profile

24 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Thanks, Val! It really was a dream come true!

25 cmichaelsny April 25, 2012 at 1:06 am

Love to eat this cupcake..Thanks for sharing with us..
cmichaelsny recently posted..Discover How To Naturally Stop Panic AttacksMy Profile

26 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:43 pm

You’re very welcome!

27 jassy April 25, 2012 at 3:28 am

what a fancy cupcake :) what’s the best cupcake you’ve tasted so far? :)
jassy recently posted..DifferenceMy Profile

28 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Oh man – that’s a tough one! I have a special place in my heart for red velvet. That cream cheese frosting gets me every time. :) How about you?

29 Mary Hamptom April 25, 2012 at 1:49 pm

All i can say, Yummy!
Mary Hamptom recently posted..HerSolution ReviewMy Profile

30 Jenn (eating bender) April 25, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Yummy, indeed! :)

31 Shasta December 15, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I relish, result in I found just what I used to be taking a
look for. You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt!

God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye