Long Grove Strawberry Festival Reprise

by Jenn (eating bender) on July 1, 2012

We enjoyed the Long Grove Strawberry Fest so much last year that we had to make a reprise!

A chance to hang out with good friends and indulge in strawberries by the pound? Sign me up!

The strawberry baked goods were out in full force, too. Sugar-coated donuts, frosted donuts, chocolate donuts, drizzled donuts…delicious. I picked up a few extra of the strawberry donuts on the left for me Bobby to enjoy later.

Chocolate-covered strawberry skewers were another crowd favorite. It’s easy to see why!

But of course, no trip to a Long Grove festival would be complete without a visit to The Great Grape.

I realize it’s ironic that our favorite treat at a strawberry festival involves chocolate-covered frozen grapes, but the heart wants what the heart wants. Lauren, Kelli and I shared two cones full of regular, milk and dark chocolate goodness.

We had to eat them quick because the hot sun was melting them!

Also on the agenda was another visit to the Long Grove Café – open all year by the pond.

Lauren and I couldn’t resist ordering their famous strawberry martini. It wasn’t too strong and was pleasantly sweet. Perfect to sip on a warm summer day while sitting on the café porch.

For my meal I went with the Arizona Club wrap, filled with turkey, lettuce, tomato, bacon and cheese. It was served with guacamole and tortilla chips on the side. It didn’t beat last year’s spinach salad, but was still quite tasty.

I had such a great time hanging out with Kelli and Lauren. We’re in the midst of planning a few more summery adventures. The season is already flying by so we have to make the most of it!

Speaking of summer craziness…happy first day of July! It’s hard to believe that the year is already half over, but I’m looking forward to what’s to come in the next six months. The second half of the year started off with a BOOM in Chicago today.

The weather was gorgeous all morning and then suddenly, at about 12:30 p.m., the dark clouds rolled in. We turned on the T.V. and found out that there was a storm blowing through…with 80-90 mph winds! They urged everyone to get inside – though it’s always a bit scary to feel the building you’re in sway as you sit helplessly on the couch.

Fortunately, the sunny skies returned.

A beachy “self portrait.” It’s that time again…#PhotoADayJuly! Who’s in?

Hope everyone has been enjoying their weekends! Any big plans for the 4th of July?

We’ll be heading to Arizona with our friends Sam and Alex. I’m excited to see them!

1 Cara (Twinthusiast) July 1, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Ah yes, the heart does want what it wants, and now I want some of those chocolate goodies!
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..Surfer Dude Pool PartyMy Profile

2 Jenn (eating bender) July 3, 2012 at 9:14 am

I wish I could ship a carton of those grapes to San Diego. So good!

3 lynn @ the actor's diet July 1, 2012 at 7:28 pm

that looks FUN! i spy cherries too!
lynn @ the actor’s diet recently posted..Sunday RitualsMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) July 3, 2012 at 9:15 am

Yes! Love me some cherries, too. :)

5 Irina @ Chocolatea Time July 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I can’t believe I forgot about this event! I remember reading about it and promising myself to attend. Of course I forget :( It looks like you had a great time though! The chocolate covered grapes sound fantastic.
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..OverheatedMy Profile

6 Jenn (eating bender) July 3, 2012 at 9:21 am

No worries – there is always next year! And there is actually an apple festival in the fall, too. If you’re interested we should totally go at the same time!

7 Sabine July 2, 2012 at 4:19 am

I can understand why you would like those chocolate cover grapes they sound and look delicious. I’m going to try joining you on the photo a day July thing, but I not good at photography so I probably will only share the good ones :-P.
Sabine recently posted..Simple recipe monthMy Profile

8 Jenn (eating bender) July 3, 2012 at 9:18 am

Haha that sounds perfect – I would love for you to join in, Sabine!

9 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City July 2, 2012 at 8:04 am

The storm yesterday was crazy! I was stranded at Trader Joes! Luckily it passed over quickly though.

The strawberry fest looks like so much fun! I love summer strawberries. I also saw the chocolate covered frozen grapes at the Gold Coast Art Fair yesterday. I’d never heard of them before! They sound really good :)
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Monday Things {07-02-2012}My Profile

10 Jenn (eating bender) July 3, 2012 at 9:19 am

I’m glad you were indoors when it came through! Totally nuts and unexpected. You just made my day – the grapes were at another festival in the city? Now I’m on a mission to attend every event they’re at! :)

11 Erica July 2, 2012 at 1:25 pm

LOVE that festival- looks like such fun. I’d be all over the chocolate covered grapes and berries. For the fourth, we’re going to my Aunt’s house on the water- can’t wait
Erica recently posted..Sweet & Salty Granola & Wedding ShowersMy Profile

12 Jenn (eating bender) July 3, 2012 at 9:20 am

Awesome! Have an amazing time! Can’t wait to see pictures of the cutie patootie.

13 Millie Snyder July 2, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Downtown Long Grove is such an cute & interesting area! I’ve been attending the strawberry apple, and chocolate festivals there for years now, they’re always enjoyable. Eating on the patio at the Long Grove Cafe is alway enjoyable! My family’s favorite treat from Downtown Long Grove is the Brown Bag apple pie from the Apple Haus bakery- you’ll have to try that next time!
Millie Snyder recently posted..Red, White, and Blueberry ParfaitsMy Profile

14 Jenn (eating bender) July 3, 2012 at 9:22 am

I completely agree! I don’t know if you’ve ever seen Gilmore Girls, but the first time I went it reminded me of Star’s Hollow! Still haven’t been to the chocolate festival. Is it as delicious as it sounds? I also still need to try a brown bag apple pie. That’s on my list for fall!

15 Millie Snyder July 3, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I have seen Gilmore Girls… you totally pegged that one! I’ve found that there are a lot of the same treats at all of the festivals but the chocolate fest is more focused on different desserts from their chocolate confectionary. Still yummy, but I prefer all of the goods at the Apple Haus!

16 BroccoliHut July 2, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Look at all those beautiful berries! Sounds like my kind of festival.
That storm sounds scary–glad to hear you’re alright!

17 Jenn (eating bender) July 3, 2012 at 9:23 am

It would have been right up your alley! Now if they could only have a “bloob” festival…haha. :)

18 Ben July 2, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I love your blog. You truly are one of two bloggers who really got me inspired to start my own, it will never be as good as yours but your really has and continues to inspire me, and that is why I have chosen to nominate/award you a “One Lovely Blog Award”. I know you follow my blog, and you can read all about it in my latest post!

Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you, is pretty much all I can say!! :)

19 Jenn (eating bender) July 3, 2012 at 9:24 am

Oh my goodness, Ben – I am so honored! You know I love your blog and to receive an award from you is truly amazing. I’m off to read your latest post now. Thank you, thank YOU!

20 Joanna July 2, 2012 at 11:23 pm

OH MY! This even looks heavenly. 2 lbs for $5!? How can you beat that? My favorite thing to make is definitely strawberry scones. So easy! Now I’m inspired to make some.

21 Jenn (eating bender) July 3, 2012 at 9:25 am

You truly can’t beat it! Wow…strawberry scones? That sounds amazing! Do you have a specific recipe you follow?

22 Joanna July 3, 2012 at 10:36 am

I use this basic recipe and switch out the lemon and fruit to be whatever I want. They are so delicious!

23 Jenn (eating bender) July 3, 2012 at 11:19 am