Nieces Pieces: August Adventure

by Jenn (eating bender) on August 22, 2012

If you’ve been reading this blog for any stretch of time over the last 15 months, you know that Bobby and I look forward to any and every opportunity we have to see our nieces pieces. This summer, we are lucky enough to see all three of them. Our first visit came this past weekend, when we traveled to San Diego to see Caroline, Kelly, Cara, Jim and Dublin (the dog)!

We arrived last Thursday night on a delayed flight from Chicago. The girls were already asleep, but we woke up with them Friday morning and couldn’t wait to start playing. Kelly (left) and Caroline (right) have grown longer, curlier blonde hair since we saw them at Easter. They are such beauties!

We began our August adventure with a trip to Pannikin, a coffee and tea shop with delicious baked goods that has been around since 1968. Jim captured this group shot of Bobby, Kelly, Caroline, me and Cara…with an unnamed photobomber located just behind my head. :)

The baked goods were delicious. Bobby and I ended up sharing a muffin, while Caroline and Kelly snacked on a chocolate treat. We had a great time enjoying the warm day as trains rushed by.

Our weekend adventure continued with a trip to the big pool…

…and not-so-big pool that is the perfect size for baby cannonballs and cool refreshments.

Cara and Jim’s neighbors also happened to have a bounce house for a birthday party, so we wandered over there later in the afternoon to do some jumping. Caroline had amazing balance and coordination, and Kelly loved being bounced and just lounging around.

Another highlight of our first day was this delicious pasta dish, a favorite of Cara and Jim. We combined Trader Joe’s Lemon Pepper Pappardelle pasta with sliced mozzarella, Parmesan and tomatoes fresh from Cara’s parents’ garden. Yum!

The next morning, we did a little reading with the girls – one of my personal favorite activities.

Once we fed our minds with animal facts, we headed to the Leucadia Donut Shoppe to feed our stomachs with another fantastic breakfast. I continued on my iced coffee kick and also had a buttermilk donut on Cara’s recommendation, which was amazing. The nieces seemed to enjoy it, too.

The girls then escorted us to one of their favorite parks. Uncle Bobby had a great time taking Kelly down the slide, swinging with Jim and seesawing with Caroline, who showed off more of her athletic talents through her ability to hang on!

We cooled off and made waves at the beach. By the way, aren’t their strawberry hats awesome?

Kelly also practiced for her upcoming Coppertone shoot. 😉

We followed up this busy day with an equally active Sunday, wet footprints and all.

It was so hard to leave on Monday afternoon! The girls are at a really fun age. Kelly continues to amaze us each day because we never know what word she will learn to say next. This weekend she began working on her sentence formation, at one point saying, “Mommy’s cup. I want cup.” She also really likes Bobby and has mastered his name. Caroline loves to say, “hi!” and “dog!” She has super strength and is absolutely fearless, already wanting to surf and swim laps. Both girls demonstrate an excellent lion’s roar, love to giggle and give kisses – what every aunt wants! We miss them already.

The good news is we will be seeing a lot more of the West in our future. Exciting changes ahead…

I’ll explain more about why we’re celebrating in my next post, but here’s a hint:

Can you guess what it is?

Big thanks again to Cara and Jim for having us. We loved every minute and always wish there was more time! Can’t wait for our next adventure.

1 Sam August 22, 2012 at 8:57 am

They are adorable! Looks like you had a wonderful time visiting them. Can’t wait to hear your exciting news!
Sam recently posted..Quiet PowerMy Profile

2 Jenn (eating bender) August 24, 2012 at 6:43 am

We love them!! Thanks, Sam! :)

3 Dr. Mark August 22, 2012 at 10:13 am

Such adorable kids, and great pics of them. How could you not have a blast!
Dr. Mark recently posted..3 Exercises To Avoid When Your Back HurtsMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) August 24, 2012 at 6:44 am

I couldn’t agree more!!

5 Erica August 22, 2012 at 11:32 am

You guys are going to be SUCH amazing parents!! The girls are so so cute. Kay wants to borrow some of their hair ;). Love them eating the baked goods- watching kids eat is so fun. I’ve heard that pasta is fantastic- I must try it

6 Jenn (eating bender) August 24, 2012 at 6:45 am

Aw, that is an incredible compliment – thanks, Erica!! You definitely must try the pasta and yes, watching kids eat is adorable. :)

7 Cara (Twinthusiast) August 22, 2012 at 1:50 pm

What a lovely recap. You take the best pics (and narrate them equally well…) 😉
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..A Visit from the Chicago-ZonansMy Profile

8 Jenn (eating bender) August 24, 2012 at 6:47 am

Thank you, Cara – that means a lot to me! We had such a blast. :)

9 BroccoliHut August 22, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Aw, I love that you read to the girls! That is such a sweet tradition, and I’m sure they will remember those times for the rest of their lives.
I love the picture of their footprints :)

10 Jenn (eating bender) August 24, 2012 at 6:50 am

If they remember me always as the aunt who reads to them, I will be a very happy aunt. :) Thanks, Caroline!

11 Elise August 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm

i really dont have much to say aside from…those nieces of yours are THE CUTEST!

ps congrats on the move!! :)
Elise recently posted..Super fast vegan mac ‘n cheeseMy Profile

12 Jenn (eating bender) August 24, 2012 at 6:50 am

Haha – I am in complete agreement with you on that sentiment! And thanks for the congrats, Elise! :)

13 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner August 22, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Sounds like you’re moving even farther away from me in the physical world, but still the same distance in the blog world! I love those strawberry hats–everything kids wear is friggin’ adorable.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Markets and CookiesMy Profile

14 Jenn (eating bender) August 24, 2012 at 6:51 am

You got it, Chelsea! That’s definitely the beauty of blog world – same distance no matter where we are. :) And I agree that kids clothes are all super cute!

15 julie August 23, 2012 at 6:44 am

waaaait a second – are you moving!? can’t wait to hear the surprise!!!

16 Jenn (eating bender) August 24, 2012 at 6:52 am

You figured me out, Julie! We are moving to Arizona!

17 Megan (Braise The Roof) August 23, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I already know the news from Facebook (happy for you guys!)- can’t wait to hear the full explanation! Your nieces are adorable, glad you had a good trip!
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..So Long, YouthMy Profile

18 Jenn (eating bender) August 24, 2012 at 6:54 am

Yay – thanks, Megan!! :)

19 Susan August 24, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Love it! Yeah, it’s amazing how longer hair makes them look so different – Claire too. Mmmm…Pannakin and donuts. Next group girls’ outing? :) Glad you guys had such a good time!