Taste of Cave Creek

by Jenn (eating bender) on October 25, 2012

Late last week, we had ourselves a Taste of Cave Creek…and it tasted good.

Cave Creek calls itself “True Arizona.” Driving through, you can definitely get a sense of what it must have been like in the old mining towns, minus the modern-era roads and electricity. You may even spot a fellow citizen on horseback (see also: bull riding). The Taste of Cave Creek promised a sampling of more than 25 area restaurants, and so we made our way to Stagecoach Village for a night of good eats and entertainment.

Speaking of bull riding, our first restaurant stop was the Buffalo Chip, home of those infamous rodeos. I decided to use my tickets on a mesquite chicken sandwich with cowboy beans, coleslaw and corn. I was a definite fan of the first three, but the corn had a seasoning I couldn’t quite place (not so tasty), so I didn’t end up finishing it. By far the best part of this sampling was the biscuit my chicken came on – you have to love a good biscuit.

Next up was Heavens Kaffee (aka Heaven’s Kitchen), an international restaurant boasting Greek, Italian, German and American cuisine. Mama Bender and I decided to honor our German heritage by getting the beef rouladen, which was stuffed with a variety of ingredients such as onions, pickles and bacon. Interesting combination to say the least, but it was actually quite delicious. The red cabbage and potatoes on the side were also good.

We took a brief break from the solids to indulge in the beer and wine options at the festival. One of the guys running the Abita booth was a Packers fan from Milwaukee, which translated into several free glasses for us! That Mama Bender sure has some charms. (Side note: We conveniently hid Bobby from view because he was wearing his Vikings shirt).

As a result, we sampled the Abita Amber and the Abita Purple Haze, both of which can best be described as the taste of fall, if such a thing exists. We also tried the Merlot from Javelina Leap, a local vineyard and winery. It was smooth but we all agreed that the beers won this round. Milwaukee would be proud.

We wandered around for a while listening to music and checking out some of the art booths. Eventually, we made a stop at Uncle Louie for some beefy rigatoni, which was rich and hearty.

Continuing on with the Italian theme, we stopped by Cibo e Vino for some alfredo and vodka cream pastas. Bobby was a big fan of the alfredo (he even went back for seconds), while the rest of us liked the more spirited dish.

To end the night on a sweet note, we visited Cafe Bink, the “little sister” of Binkley’s Restaurant, which boasts French-inspired New American fare. I can’t properly describe how perfect this chocolate parfait was with its many layers of mouthwatering ingredients. From the bottom up, we have hazelnut chocolate creme, milk chocolate powder, white chocolate foam and dark chocolate crumbles. It was immensely satisfying and worth every bite.

As you can see, we had a really great time at the Taste of Cave Creek. We discovered a variety of new places to eat while also having the chance to experience True Arizona and food cooked directly over the fire. We’re feeling more like Arizonans by the day.

Any big weekend plans?

Bobby and I are hoping to make an impromptu trip. We’ll see if it all pans out!

Abrazos,

1 Erica October 26, 2012 at 3:46 am

oh my gosh! The biscuit, the rigatoni, the parfait! Amazing. What a fun event. We are going to the USC game- can’t wait
Erica recently posted..Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes & Komen RunMy Profile

2 alderaic October 26, 2012 at 5:47 am

Plans are simple, pumpkin carving with the kids, some running, some workouts and that’s it!
alderaic recently posted..Insanity: The Asylum Volume 1 – Day 2, StrengthMy Profile

3 Jenn (eating bender) October 30, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Sounds like a great weekend! Hope you had a blast. :)

4 Susan October 26, 2012 at 2:40 pm

What’s that you say? An impromptu trip to KC? :) Mmm… that chocolate parfait looks awesome.

5 Jenn (eating bender) October 26, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Haha! Chicago this time around, unfortunately, but we’ll have to do an impromptu KC trip very soon. :)

6 Megan (Braise The Roof) October 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Yum, that chicken sandwich looks awesome! And you’re right – you have to love a good biscuit. Looks like such a fun night! I love Abita – I drank my fair share of it when I was in New Orleans. :)
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Chipotle Cheese Beer BreadMy Profile

7 Alen Agaronov October 27, 2012 at 9:49 am

The hazelnut chocolate cream was a good way to end the night.

8 Jenn (eating bender) October 30, 2012 at 11:28 pm

It definitely was!

9 Dr. Mark October 29, 2012 at 11:27 am

What an awesome evening, going from place to place and sampling everything. Makes me want to cook over a blazing fire :)
Dr. Mark recently posted..8 Ways To Turbo Boost Your Health RoutineMy Profile

10 Jenn (eating bender) October 30, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Haha, me too! :)

11 Katie October 29, 2012 at 11:51 am

Ooh, what a fun event! I haven’t been to a food tasting fest in so long. And I LOVE Abita beer!
Katie recently posted..Family TiesMy Profile

12 Jenn (eating bender) October 30, 2012 at 11:29 pm

It’s so good! I’m going to have to look for it next time I’m beer shopping. :)

13 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 29, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Mmm mmm…I haven’t had a biscuit in ages! Pasta, on the other hand, is a different story. My bf is training for the NYC Marathon next weekend, and while I’ll only be cheering him on from the sidelines, I have been a big participant in the whole carb-loading process. :)

14 Jenn (eating bender) October 30, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I’m so with you on the pasta! And I would be the same way on the carb-loading – it’s the best way to show support, in my humble opinion. :) Good luck to your BF – I hope you’re safe in NYC!

15 Nicole @ The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie October 31, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Taste of Cave Creek looks awesome! I love those tasting events hehe

I am a big Abita fan too – I just tried their Pecan one thats out right now and it’s pretty tasty too! :)
Nicole @ The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie recently posted..Monster Cereal TreatsMy Profile