Happy Birthday, Mama B!

by Jenn (eating bender) on November 5, 2012

Today is Mama Bender’s birthday! I’m so glad to be in Arizona to celebrate with her this year – mainly because I have the chance to give her a birthday hug in person, but also because being home allows me to find awesome old pictures like this one:

Not only is Mama Bender a writing inspiration (mom + typewriter = ), she’s also an incredible mother and friend. I feel lucky to be able to call my mom a “friend” and really mean it. She is a true confidante who gives great advice and also happens to be a lot of fun to hang out with.

In fact, we had a great time this weekend perusing the Carefree Art & Wine Festival. There were so many talented artists this year — every booth was tempting, but it was more fun to just look around at all the creative pieces, from wine bottles designed within cabinetry to jewelry boxes with hidden compartments, and everything in between.

There was also a booth full of organic goat cheeses in a variety of flavors from Coon Ridge, a company out of New Mexico. We tried a bit of everything, including spicy Southwestern and cocoa raspberry. I ultimately brought home a jar of Tomato Basil & Garlic, and have already dipped into it several times. It’s perfectly creamy and delicious.

Annnnd I didn’t leave empty-handed on the art front, either. When I came across these pieces from Richard Curtner, I couldn’t resist. His word collages are amazing in that literally everything on the print was clipped out of a newspaper, magazine, etc. The center image is an assembly of colors, and the words around them represent photography, writing and telephone communication, respectively.

I’m excited to frame these for the new office! Mama Bender found some great works of art, too. It was a smashing success for the birthday girl.

(If you can’t tell, my talent for “serious” photo taking doesn’t fall far from the tree.)

Happy birthday, Mama Bender! I love you!

Abrazos,

1 Joy November 5, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I love that your mom is your friend – my mom was mine

Happy birthday mama b
Joy recently posted..What’d you do with your extra hour?My Profile

2 Jenn (eating bender) November 8, 2012 at 10:43 am

That’s awesome, Joy. It really is special. Thank you for the birthday wishes. :)

3 Erica November 5, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Happy birthday mama B!!!!! You totally look SO much alike (by looking at that first picture!). Hope she had a great day
Erica recently posted..Potato Coconut Corn ChowderMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) November 8, 2012 at 10:44 am

I loved finding that picture and seeing how much we look a like! So cool. :)

5 Susan November 5, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Birthday hugs to Mama B.! Oooo… love your new art, too!

6 Jenn (eating bender) November 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

I was thinking about you while I was there – you would have loved it! They host it twice a year so we may have to time a future visit around the festival. :)

7 Cara (Twinthusiast) November 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm

SO love the first photo – the expression, the pretty hair, the typewriter, the striped pillowcase, everything! :) Those prints look awesome – for your office in the new house? Happy Bday Mama B – see you soon!
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..Happy Halloween from the ND Cheerleaders!My Profile

8 Jenn (eating bender) November 8, 2012 at 11:53 am

I love everything about that photo, too – I might have to frame it! And yes, the prints are for the office in the new house…wooohooooo!

9 Melissa @TryingtoHeal November 6, 2012 at 9:33 am

happy birthday to your mom!!! You look just like her in that picture with the typewriter!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Birding Thursday: Grass Green TanagerMy Profile

10 Jenn (eating bender) November 8, 2012 at 10:55 am

Thank you! I love that picture of her so much I might have to frame it for inspiration. :)

11 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner November 6, 2012 at 10:19 am

Happy Birthday, Mama B!

Our mom’s birthdays are close, as well–my mom’s birthday was just on Saturday. :)
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Freedom from FearMy Profile

12 Jenn (eating bender) November 8, 2012 at 10:56 am

So awesome that their birthdays are close! Happy, happy belated to your mom. :)

13 Megan (Braise The Roof) November 6, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Happy birthday to your mom! (You look SO much like her, by the way!)
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Deleece – Restaurant ReviewMy Profile

14 Jenn (eating bender) November 8, 2012 at 11:00 am

Thanks, Megan! I am so happy I found that picture – it’s one of my favorites of her!

15 Nicole @ The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie November 6, 2012 at 4:48 pm

How fun!! Happy birthday to your mom!! :)
Nicole @ The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie recently posted..Murder at the Four Deuces: Murder Mystery Dinner PartyMy Profile

16 Jenn (eating bender) November 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

Thanks, Nicole!!

17 Irina @ Chocolatea Time November 7, 2012 at 7:43 am

Aww what a sweet message to your mom! Happy birthday to her :)
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..Frames From The Weekend 11/2/2012 – 11/4/2012My Profile

18 Jenn (eating bender) November 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

Thank you, Irina!! :)

19 Marianne November 7, 2012 at 10:29 pm

You and your mom look so alike! Happy birthday to Mama Bender :)
Marianne recently posted..Spooky BrewsMy Profile