Take A Look, It’s In A Book

by Jenn (eating bender) on May 7, 2013

Reading Rainbow!!!!!!

That was the theme of Caroline and Kelly’s 2nd birthday party (the link goes to Cara’s awesome recap), which was a huge hit. As I mentioned in my last post, we were lucky enough to have the chance to celebrate with our nieces pieces in person this year. We arrived late Friday night, but the festivities really began on Saturday morning with a birthday trip to the beach!

Kelly and Uncle Bobby played with some sand toys, while Caroline headed straight for the ocean.

It was a gorgeous day in San Diego, with sunny skies and a cool breeze.

From there we headed back to get ready for the party. Caroline picked a perfect bouquet.

Kelly decided she wanted to help Uncle Bobby mow the lawn.

And big sister Dublin worked on tidying up the house.

Cara did an incredible job with the rainbow decorations. There were construction paper hearts…

…colorful goodie bags tied with rainbow ribbon…

…and a Reading Rainbow book swap basket. In lieu of gifts, she asked the party guests to bring children’s books they no longer needed. I thought it was an awesome idea!

You can see the girls’ party skirts in the photo above, too. Between the skirts, the colorful tops and the pigtails, they looked truly adorable – and ready for an afternoon of fun, games and CAKE!

Party guests both young and old had a great time. You need only see the venue options – which included a saloon, barn, jail and playhouse, among others – to know the antics that ensued!

That last photo is one of my favorites. The girls and I had some good times in the toddler saloon!

Soon enough, it was time to break for cake. Delicious Costco cake, that is!

Kelly and Caroline really enjoyed their sugary slices.

They even shared an extra-large bite with Uncle Bobby!

Bobby Share

Cara also had the rainbow-riffic idea of borrowing a parachute, which the kids loved.

Parachute 1

Kelly grabbed onto one of the straps along the outside to help lift it up and down…

Parachute 2

…while Caroline headed straight for the middle. The smile says it all. :)

Parachute 3

Everyone had a blast. These cool girls know how to throw a party.

The celebrations continued the next morning with a crib bash for all the stuffed animals. It was important to make sure that Rory the Bear, Dan the Duck, Bailey the Butterfly and Little Pink Riding Pants – plus many more – had the chance to get in on the fun.

Caroline and Kelly each received Winnie the Pooh board shorts as a birthday present from Jim and Cara. To say they were a hit would be an understatement. They couldn’t wait to wear them to breakfast at Pannikin. We heard some wonderful renditions of “Deep in the Hundred Acre Wood” throughout the trip, plus a new quotable observation: “I have Pooh on my booty!”

Pannikin was as delicious as always with their giant, freshly-baked goodies like blueberry scones…

…and raspberry muffins.

They also have the best vanilla iced coffee I’ve ever tasted.

From there we went to the park for some playtime…

…and came back to do a bit of art before the girls’ nap.

Although it was a short trip, we managed to pack in a lot of adventure! Caroline and Kelly have grown up so much since their last birthday and it has been such a joy to watch. They are learning new stories and songs to share with us every day. They tell some great jokes. And they have the kind of full belly laughs and big squeeze hugs that can melt hearts instantly.

We’re a lucky aunt and uncle who love these girls very much.

Cheers to year three, K + C!

1 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I can’t wait until my niece is talking and has stories and songs to share with ME! Your nieces pieces are adorable, and what a great party!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Killing Two BirdsMy Profile

2 Jenn (eating bender) May 8, 2013 at 10:02 am

Aww, so much fun to come! Nieces are amazing!! :)

3 Megan (Braise The Roof) May 7, 2013 at 1:22 pm

What a great idea for a party theme! I loved Reading Rainbow as a kid. :) (I mean, who didn’t??) Glad you had a great trip!
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Showers for DummiesMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) May 8, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Agreed – Reading Rainbow was one of my favorites!

5 Karla May 7, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I can’t stop smiling after scrolling through this adorable post, Jenn! What cuties and SUCH a sweet birthday party. The pure joy in all of the kids’ faces = priceless!

And how fun are K+C’s aunt and uncle?! :)
Karla recently posted..Sunday Morning Special + 5 Slim Cinco de Mayo RecipesMy Profile

6 Jenn (eating bender) May 8, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Aw, thanks, Karla!! I can’t stop smiling when I think about it, too. :)

7 Erica May 7, 2013 at 1:42 pm

They ALWAYS melt my heart! SO cute! What a fantastic birthday. I love their little skirts. Kids are amazing. Hooray for such a delicious looking scone
Erica recently posted..Weekly Meal Plan & Collective Coffee Co.My Profile

8 Jenn (eating bender) May 8, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Kids + scones are definitely amazing!! :)

9 Shannon May 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm

what a fabulous vacation :) and i’m smiling ear to ear about pooh on their booty!!!
Shannon recently posted..Choc Almond TartletsMy Profile

10 Jenn (eating bender) May 8, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Haha – I’m so glad you loved that comment as much as I did! :)

11 Cara (Twinthusiast) May 7, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Love this recap. You really got such great pics. Perfect weekend! Ok, now I’m off to read Little Hoot for the 7th time today.
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..A Reading Rainbow 2nd BirthdayMy Profile

12 Jenn (eating bender) May 8, 2013 at 12:08 pm

It was truly a perfect weekend! And hurray for Little Hoot – glad it’s a hit. :)

13 BroccoliHut May 7, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Oh, my gosh that is SUCH a cute idea for a party theme!! Definitely remembering that for the future…that is, if Cara doesn’t mind :)
I can’t wait to move home so I can be around for my niece and nephew’s birthday parties.
BroccoliHut recently posted..Bestowed Review + GiveawayMy Profile

14 Jenn (eating bender) May 8, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I couldn’t agree more! And I’m sure Cara wouldn’t mind one bit. :) It will be so great when you move home. I’m really excited for you!

15 blueberryhil May 7, 2013 at 10:34 pm

The toddler saloon picture is adorable. Someone needs to frame that!
blueberryhil recently posted..Homemade TortillasMy Profile

16 Jenn (eating bender) May 8, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Thanks, Hil! I think I just might! :)

17 Melissa @TryingtoHeal May 8, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Ah, what a great trip to see the girls! Their parents did a great job on the theme and everyone looks so happy and joyous! And I need to look up that bakery the next time I’m in SD! That muffin and scone look delicious!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..A Liebster AwardMy Profile

18 Susan May 8, 2013 at 10:10 pm

What a great party! I’m glad you guys could be there. Wish I had a Pannakin near my house, too… Mmmmm….

19 Ari @ Ari's Menu May 9, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Ummm, I wanna play!!!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..“Nutella” Granola {vegan + gluten-free}My Profile