by Jenn (eating bender) on May 15, 2013

Thank you all for the birthday wishes last week! They capped off a pretty spectacular day that was followed by an equally wonderful Mother’s Day weekend in St. Louis.

Being able to spend the holiday with Mama Bender is always a treat. Since Mother’s Day usually falls on or close to my birthday, it’s an extra reminder that I have this amazing woman to thank for giving me life – and so much happiness. Love you, Mama B.

Mother's Day 1

We shared a lot of laughs over the weekend, both with each other and with our family. On Sunday we took my Grandma Gige to a Cardinals game (she is a diehard – and I mean diehard – fan) with my Aunt Diane. The stadium gave all the women special red hats to celebrate. Don’t we look stylish?

Mother's Day 2

I also had the chance to see my cousin Lisa’s daughter, Morgan. We had a blast at the park and played several games of chase where she’d yell, “Run! Run!” before coming after us all, giggling nonstop. It was awesome.

I was also treated to a delicious birthday dinner at Brio last week. My date was sharply dressed.

Brio remains one of my all-time favorite Italian restaurants. Their bread alone can win you over.

Their chopped salads are also amazing. You can order them as a side with any meal.

For my entrée, I went with the Penne Mediterranean, a pasta dish served with mushrooms, spinach, sundried tomatoes, caramelized onions, Feta, pine nuts and a light vegetable broth.

For dessert, the waiter said he’d bring out any of their “dolchinos” as a complimentary treat. I decided to try the cheesecake, which is layered in a small glass with berry compote, cheesecake crust, and cream cheese icing, then topped with a sprig of mint and a raspberry. It was fantastic!

We both left with happy bellies…

…that were made even happier when presented with candy! Bobby knows me well.

Hope you all are having a great week so far. Can’t believe the month of May is half over already!

What did you do for Mother’s Day weekend?

1 Karla May 15, 2013 at 12:15 pm

What a lovely birthday dinner and celebratory weekend, Jenn! Another year more wonderful, I say. Morgan is adorable and I love your matching red hats! :)

Can’t wait for our catch-up session tomorrow!
Karla recently posted..2013 Summer Race PlaylistMy Profile

2 Jenn (eating bender) May 16, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Thanks, Karla! Can’t wait for our catch-up session in a bit, too! :)

3 Erica May 15, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I adore that you love junky candy too :) I’m a total addict. What a great birthday and Mother’s day! The red hats are SO fun. And I love how all of the dishes at the restaurant look delicious, fresh, and on the lighter side (win!!). Hope you’re having a great week!
Erica recently posted..Happy Mother’s Day & Meal PlanMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) May 17, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I love that we both are candy addicts, too! :)

5 emily (a nutritionist eats) May 15, 2013 at 1:52 pm

What a great weekend of celebrating! It is fun to celebrate many times. :) I couldn’t be with my Mom on Mother’s Day, but I did spend the day at the beach so I can’t complain!

6 Jenn (eating bender) May 17, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Time at the beach is definitely not a bad way to spend the weekend!

7 Megan (Braise The Roof) May 15, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Well, you know I can’t support the whole Cardinals thing, but I think it’s pretty awesome that your grandma is a diehard baseball fan! I’d take a day at the ballpark for a celebration any day!
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Showers for DummiesMy Profile

8 Jenn (eating bender) May 17, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Haha I know – but it is pretty awesome to see her get so crazy over those Cards! It was a great day at the ballpark, for sure.

9 Cara (Twinthusiast) May 15, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Love those red hats — Grandma Gige lookin’ good!
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..Hey Mamas, You Rock!My Profile

10 Jenn (eating bender) May 17, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Thanks, Cara!

11 Melissa @TryingtoHeal May 15, 2013 at 5:02 pm

What a great mother’s day weekend and those hats are too cute/funny! I’m glad you had fun and enjoyed that dinner out too with Bobby!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Side Note: New RealizationMy Profile

12 Jenn (eating bender) May 17, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Thanks, lady! It was definitely a great weekend. :)

13 BroccoliHut May 15, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I love Brio for the same reason–the awesome bread basket! I always steal crackers with all the seeds and Parm on them. Those are my fave!
Sounds like you had a great weekend!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Lemon Pepper Kale ChipsMy Profile

14 Jenn (eating bender) May 17, 2013 at 2:44 pm

The crackers are insanely good – I agree!!

15 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 16, 2013 at 4:12 am

Mmm….is there anything more perfect than freshly baked bread? Your birthday and Mother’s Day looked wonderful!

My mom, siblings, and I made brunch for my grandma on Mother’s Day. Because Mother’s Day and brunch go together like peas and carrots. Everything was delicious!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Oh, What a Beautiful MorningMy Profile

16 Jenn (eating bender) May 17, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I don’t think there is anything more wonderful than freshly baked bread. :) Sounds like you had an amazing Mother’s Day – and I agree that it goes with brunch like peas and carrots, haha!

17 Ted May 18, 2013 at 4:29 am

I enjoyed reading the post. Great birthday dinner and weekend celebration.

18 Jenn (eating bender) May 21, 2013 at 10:56 am

Thanks, Ted!

19 Mel May 19, 2013 at 9:13 pm

WOW. I haven’t been following your blog until now, are you a professional photographer? Nice shots.

Makes me dream of vacation! 😉 A long one!

20 Jenn (eating bender) May 21, 2013 at 10:55 am

Aw, thanks, Mel! That really means a lot – no I’m not a professional photographer but I try to act like one sometimes. 😉 It doesn’t always turn out well, but I’m very happy with the Europe pictures!