Happy 20th Birthday, Eric!

by Jenn (eating bender) on June 17, 2013

Eric's Birthday

20 years ago today…

I hung out with my mom’s friend Karen, waiting for a call from the hospital.

Karen gave me a brunette Barbie doll, and I thought that was awesome.

But it wasn’t as awesome as the blue-green scrubs that said “Big Sister” on the back.

It wasn’t as awesome as the moment when mom came wheeling out of some big hospital room on a bed, with dad following close behind in matching blue-green scrubs, carrying a bundle of blankets.

It wasn’t as awesome as when that bundle of blankets turned out to be a baby.

And it certainly wasn’t as awesome as when that baby was put into my arms and I was told, “Jenny, this is your new little brother.”

“This is Eric.”

Dad was the first man I loved, but you were the first boy.

Eric's Birthday 3

Getting you as my brother was the best gift I’ve ever received.

Eric and Jenny

From the moment you were born we’ve had a special connection. A six-year age difference didn’t faze us in the least. We laughed together, played together and cried together.

Eric's Birthday 5

Some of my friends were annoyed with their pesky little brothers.

I wanted to hang out with mine all the time. It helped that you were really cute.

Eric's Birthday 6

And the best part was that you seemed to like me a lot, too.

Eric Birthday 2

We’ve been through a lot. YOU’VE been through a lot. I am so proud of you, not only because of the wonderful man you’re becoming but also because of the sweet and caring boy you’ve always been.

You are the best gift I’ve ever received.

Better than that brunette Barbie doll by far.

Eric's Birthday 4

I can’t believe you’re now 20 years old, but I’m excited to see what the next 20 years will bring.

Happy birthday, little bro.

Abrazos,

Your big sis

1 Erica June 17, 2013 at 12:09 pm

What a sweet post for a sweet man! Happy Birthday Eric!!

2 Jenn (eating bender) June 21, 2013 at 10:46 am

Thanks, Erica!

3 Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) June 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm

This is so sweet! You’re probably the best older sister I’ve ever heard of. You remember so much of your brother being born and that is awesome! I remember nothing…:( Happy Birthday to your Bro!

My brother and I have a 5 year age gap. He’s turning 21 in August. I can’t believe it. I was one of those sister’s who never wanted my brother around when I had friends over. If we were alone though, we always played together. Nothing better than having a sibling, a friend for life.
Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted..Black Bean Mango Tacos with Coconut Cream SauceMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) June 21, 2013 at 10:47 am

You are very sweet, Kelli! I couldn’t agree more about having a sibling – it truly is a friend for life. I love that you and your brother also have a bigger age gap. So many things in common!

5 Cara (Twinthusiast) June 17, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Happy Birthday dear Eric! It is such a joy to know you! Wishing you a fabulous day and sending hugs from Caroline and Kelly :)
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..A Washington, D.C. Wedding and ND ReunionMy Profile

6 Jenn (eating bender) June 21, 2013 at 10:49 am

Thanks, Cara! The girls never fail to make him smile. :)

7 Megan (Braise The Roof) June 17, 2013 at 4:04 pm

This is the sweetest! You two are lucky to have each other, it sounds like you have an amazing bond. :) Happy birthday, Eric!
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Showers for DummiesMy Profile

8 Jenn (eating bender) June 21, 2013 at 10:50 am

Aw, thank you, Megan! I really do feel lucky. :)

9 Karla June 17, 2013 at 4:23 pm

This is THE sweetest, Jenn. I loved reading about your special connection!

Happy Birthday, Eric! Wishing you a day full of birdies and burgers (I’m still remembering our tasty post-race dinner). :)
Karla recently posted..Sunday Morning Special: Happy Father’s Day + Fit Girl ConfessionsMy Profile

10 Jenn (eating bender) June 21, 2013 at 10:51 am

Thank you, Karla!! Love the birdies and burgers comment – that sounds like a perfect day if you ask me. :)

11 Eric June 17, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Jenny, I don’t know what to say. But I want to let you know you are the best and most caring person in my life and I won’t forget about great times we had when we were young.

12 Jenn (eating bender) June 21, 2013 at 10:53 am

Love you, bro! I feel the same way!

13 Kristie June 17, 2013 at 6:26 pm

This is so sweet. And you were both such cuties when you were young (not that you still aren’t, but you know what I mean :))!

As an aside, I definitely had those Jasmine pajamas. Very nice.

14 Jenn (eating bender) June 21, 2013 at 10:54 am

Haha, I know what you mean! Thank you, Kristie. :) Love that you had those Jasmine pajamas, too. My favorite along with a similar pair that featured Belle!

15 BroccoliHut June 17, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Happy birthday to Eric! The sibling connection really is something special.
BroccoliHut recently posted..Maple Baked Beans {Vegan}My Profile

16 Jenn (eating bender) June 21, 2013 at 10:54 am

I couldn’t agree more! Thanks, Caroline!

17 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner June 18, 2013 at 4:21 am

Happy Birthday, Eric! This was a wonderful post about siblings—I am crazy about mine, too!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Impress YourselfMy Profile

18 Jenn (eating bender) June 21, 2013 at 10:55 am

Siblings are the best! Thanks, Chelsea. :)

19 bariatric bypass surgery June 18, 2013 at 9:47 am

Hi Eric,
wonderful relationship.. :)

20 Susan June 18, 2013 at 9:12 pm

A great post for a great guy! Happy Birthday, Eric! :)

21 Jenn (eating bender) June 21, 2013 at 10:56 am

Thanks, Susan! :)

22 Melissa @TryingtoHeal June 19, 2013 at 11:07 am

Happy Birthday Eric! It’s amazing how much he looks like your Dad when he was younger! I hope he had a great birthday with you and the family!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Side Notes: MirrorsMy Profile

23 Jenn (eating bender) June 21, 2013 at 10:56 am

Agreed – he is a carbon copy of my dad in both of their baby pictures!! Thanks, Melissa. :)

24 Catherine Shiel July 4, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Hi Jenn, your post about Eric’s birthday is one of the sweetest and most heartfelt tributes to a brother. You are an amazingly talented writer and the nicest person ever. Not so incredible given your super nice parents, whom I hope to see again this fall. Love, Catherine