Hometown Wedding Weekend

by Jenn (eating bender) on July 2, 2013

This past weekend we traveled to Minnesota for a beautiful and fun wedding! As we made our descent into Minneapolis on Thursday, I enjoyed the birds-eye glimpse of greens and blues.

Being back in Minnesota with Bobby’s family is always a blast, but this trip made for an even bigger trip down memory lane because my family was there, too (more on that in a bit). We couldn’t resist driving through Eden Prairie, my official hometown for 12 years. (Side note: I have always called this “the majority” of my life. Just realized that at 26, that is no longer the case.)

We stopped by the EP mall – home of many a high school date with Bobby – for lunch at Potbelly.

And we were also the creepers who slooowly drove by our old house. We didn’t ring the doorbell, though it was certainly tempting to see what they’ve done with my old room. Our biggest takeaway was that the trees that started out as tiny seedlings when we moved into the house in 1993 are now ginormous. Mama Bender would have had a tough time wrangling these with her Christmas lights.

Once we had finished being tourists in our old neighborhood, we made it to the hotel where the Benders were staying so that I could change and head to the wedding rehearsal.

Bobby and I were honored when the bride and groom – Annie and Jono – asked us to do the Prayers of the Faithful during their wedding ceremony. Following the rehearsal we all headed to a wonderful groom’s dinner at Jono’s aunt and uncle’s house. Check out these fun DIY chocolate holders.

It was a wedding we were excited to celebrate for a number of reasons – chief among them being how amazing Annie and Jono are together. But it’s also cool to note the various connections. Annie and Jono were in the same high school class as Bobby and me. Bobby and Annie are cousins. Annie and I were on the same high school golf team (which is also how our moms met and became best friends). Bobby and Jono were close friends and hockey teammates. Jono and I have known each other since middle school at St. Hubert’s. And speaking of St. Hubert’s…

It also happens to be the church where they got married.

It was fun to be back in a place with old memories to create a new and beautiful one. Before we left for the ceremony on Friday, we snapped a group picture of the Krenn family. You’ll notice a certain niece was also in town! (Thanks for the letting me “borrow” your picture, Cara.)

Krenn Family 1

The ceremony was sweet, but the first kiss as husband and wife was even sweeter.

First Kiss

Afterward we made our way to the Lafayette Club on Lake Minnetonka for the reception. The setting was idyllic (golf!) and the weather was perfect for all the right moments.

We took the opportunity to have a family photo shoot. It got a little windy at times!

The Krenn girls (including a new niece on the way!)…

The Krenn guys…

And the Benders (this might be one of my favorite family pics of all time)…

I also cornered the bride and asked her to take a picture with us. Doesn’t Annie look stunning?

Last but not least, I love this candid that Bobby took of Eric. Note he was holding my wine glass. :)

We finished our marathon photo session and headed inside for dinner amidst beautiful centerpieces.

The food was delicious. I am bummed that I forgot to take a picture of the wedding cake, but I did manage to snap one of the entrée – a duo of grilled tenderloin and chicken with potatoes.

The weddings toasts were both funny and touching. The first dance was lovely.

And the father-daughter dance is always one of my favorite moments.

From there, we danced the rest of the night away. Congratulations, Annie and Jono!!!!

The rest of our Minnesota weekend included spending time with the one and only Claire Bear.

On Saturday we visited Tom and Mickie’s cabin on Lake Minnetonka. You may remember a similar picture taken last September. There was a lot less water then – no beach this year!

Claire Bear has grown a lot since that post, but so has cousin Kellen! Quite a difference from the little baby in my arms. As you can tell from those dimpled cheeks, he couldn’t be cuter.

Both Kellen and Claire enjoyed splashing around in the pool.

Claire was quite the slider, too. She could climb to the top from both directions.

My family stopped by for part of the day, too. Eric (aka Uncle Eric) is so great with little ones.

The boys had picked up a Costco cake in the morning to surprise Barb for her upcoming birthday. We all managed to sneak inside without her noticing, then brought her in to sing.

She had a little help blowing out the candles.

The Costco cake was, of course, delicious.

We also celebrated Claire’s upcoming birthday later that night. This little lady will be turning two in just a few days! I can’t believe how grown up the nieces pieces are getting.

It was a jam-packed weekend of celebration and good times. Now onto a shortened holiday week!

1 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner July 2, 2013 at 12:18 pm

How fun that you got to go to a wedding with your parents AND Bobby’s parents!

And yay for a short week! Hope it’s a good one. :)
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Free MondayMy Profile

2 Jenn (eating bender) July 4, 2013 at 7:43 am

It was definitely cool to have both families together!! Hope you have a wonderful 4th of July, Chelsea! :)

3 Erica July 2, 2013 at 12:42 pm

You guys did so much in 1 weekend! Looks like it was a total blast. The bride looks gorgeous- as do you!! Its always cool to go to a wedding when you’re super close to the couple

4 Jenn (eating bender) July 4, 2013 at 7:44 am

Thanks, lady!! I’m totally with you on those weddings. Happy 4th of July!

5 Shannon July 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm

definitely a great weekend :) horray for a short week!
Shannon recently posted..Think Pink!My Profile

6 Jenn (eating bender) July 4, 2013 at 7:46 am

Happy 4th of July, Shannon! :)

7 Karla July 2, 2013 at 1:56 pm

What a fun-filled weekend, Jenn! I adore that family picture as well. What a treasure! It’s so fantastic that your family was able to all get together back in your old stomping grounds.

And you are absolutely right–the happy couple looked gorgeous! (As did you, my dear. :) )
Karla recently posted..Healthy 4th of July Dessert: AmericonesMy Profile

8 Jenn (eating bender) July 4, 2013 at 7:46 am

Thanks, Karla!! Hope you have a wonderful 4th of July!

9 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate July 2, 2013 at 2:42 pm

That looks like such a fun wedding and weekend. Oh, and the food looks fabulous as well!
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Choose Your Own AdventureMy Profile

10 Jenn (eating bender) July 4, 2013 at 7:47 am

Thanks, Gina!! Happy 4th of July!

11 Cara (Twinthusiast) July 2, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Aw, great shots all around. You summarized it all perfectly!
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..A Minnesota Lake WeddingMy Profile

12 Jenn (eating bender) July 4, 2013 at 7:47 am

Thanks, Cara! Happy 4th of July!

13 Leucadia Chiropractors July 2, 2013 at 4:55 pm

There’s no place like home. I’m so happy for you. Nice pictures and you’re really gifted in writing. You summarized the stay so good. How long did you stay there?

14 Jenn (eating bender) July 4, 2013 at 7:48 am

Aw, thank you – that’s the best compliment! We were there for four days. :)

15 Monica H. July 3, 2013 at 4:43 pm

So fun to read this post and recognize most of the places you mention. Chris and I considered the Lafayette Club for our reception, it’s so beautiful! I’m glad you guys had fairly good weather for your visit! :)

16 Jenn (eating bender) July 4, 2013 at 7:49 am

I always love reading posts like that, too! How cool that you and Chris considered Lafayette Club. It was definitely a gorgeous venue! Hope you have a wonderful 4th of July, Monica!

17 Jessica July 5, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Looks like a great weekend! It’s fun to see pictures of Eden Prairie on your blog; I live there now!

18 Susan July 8, 2013 at 7:56 pm

haha… I’m also a big fan of the slow drive past one’s childhood home – well done. :) Great recap of the trip! I love that picture of Kellen in the pool. Claire cordially invites you to come on over and use giant golf clubs for horsey rides again.

19 Driving School Penrith July 17, 2013 at 1:27 am

I actually enjoy, end in I stumbled upon what precisely I used to be writing about with regard to. You could have was over my Five working day extended search! Lord Thanks a lot guy. Employ a wonderful evening. Cya

20 Encinitas Chiropractor July 22, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Wow! That was a busy yet super fun weekend. Nice photos, you guys looked so happy. Do you have plans of going back there?