Gone To Maui {Part One}

by Jenn (eating bender) on September 11, 2013

Last week I alluded to a beach adventure that Bobby and I were planning as an early anniversary trip. Our long weekend in Maui was amazing, and although we are now back home we brought away some fun – and thrilling – memories. Plus we checked a couple of items off the bucket list.

We flew out from Phoenix on Friday morning and were surprised by an amazing coincidence when two of our good friends turned out to be on the same flight! We had no idea they were headed to Maui and, as it turned out, staying on the exact same part of the island. More on that later. :)

Bobby and I decided to have a celebratory drink in the air – beer for him, white wine for me.

Once we arrived, we picked up our rental car and drove to the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa.

The views from the entrance beckoned us right away!

The rooms were updated in the early 2000s and were very nice but affordable (especially after the busy season). We requested an ocean view that looked similar to the one pictured on their website:

Marriott Room

Our actual room had a slightly different view from the balcony, but it was still incredible!

We got settled in the room before heading out for our first Maui activity: the Te Au Moana luau!

It’s not official until there is a lei, right? This luau came highly recommended on TripAdvisor and just so happened to be at the hotel, which was super convenient. We picked up a pair of cocktails – Mai Tai for him, piña colada for me – and headed to the beach to hang out until dinner started.

Of course, beach silliness photos (a la Barcelona) ensued.

Bobby also tried out a game where you attempt to roll a puck between two stakes. It was a pretty difficult task but in this picture, you almost believe that it was going in… 😉

The sound of the conch shell announced that it was time for the imu (underground oven) unearthing of the pig. The luau had officially begun!

We piled our plates high with all of the delicious food that was offered. Various salads, purple potatoes, beef, pork and teriyaki chicken. Everything was so tasty, and it was buffet style so there were unlimited servings (and drinks). Definitely a great deal for dinner plus the performance.

As we ate, we witnessed one of Maui’s beautiful sunsets.

It was followed up by a spectacular show with beautiful dancers and great entertainment, including live music and a man who did crazy things with fire. I captured some of his moves on video below.

Once the show ended, we headed back to the room for an early bedtime. We had a big day ahead of us on Saturday that included a road trip to see the sunrise from nearly 10,000 feet up.

Can’t wait to share more! Let me know what you’re up to this week.

1 Cara (Twinthusiast) September 11, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Some of the pictures at the beach look almost surreal! I’ve only been to Maui once but am convinced its in Jim and my future…
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..On the Bookshelf this MonthMy Profile

2 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2013 at 1:20 pm

It should definitely on your travel list! Very romantic but also very family-friendly if the girls want to go someday. 😉

3 Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine September 11, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Wow, that looks absolutely beautiful! I have never been to any topical places, I have never left the East Coast of the States. One day though hopefully!
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted..Warm Balsamic Sprouted Lentil SaladMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I would definitely recommend Maui for a tropical place. You get to see so many different types of terrain there!

5 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles September 11, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Wow, stunning photos! Looks like a great time!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..The Inaugural Wag WednesdayMy Profile

6 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Thanks, Courtney!!

7 melissa @tryingtoheal September 11, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Is it nuts I’ve been stalking your blog since you got back to see when you would post about Maui!!!?? Haha!!! How crazy that your friends were on your flight too! Small world! That luau looks super fun, did you try the poi? Wait, if you didn’t it’s probably a good thing…because the poi at those things are old and gross. Day of poi is the best! Anyhow, yay! I can’t wait for the next post!!!!
melissa @tryingtoheal recently posted..Fun SeptemberMy Profile

8 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Haha I love it!! Thank you so much again for all the great recommendations. :) I didn’t try the poi but Bobby did and he liked it! All the luau food was pretty tasty and fresh, actually! Can’t wait to share more!

9 Erica September 11, 2013 at 8:37 pm

omgosh so jealous! What a trip! I went to Hawaii twice when I was younger (when we lived in San Francisco and have longed to go back- Josh has never been! You look FABULOUS. Now give me a pina colada!

10 Kelli H September 11, 2013 at 10:07 pm

aww….how awesome! I love Maui! My favorite island of Hawaii by far.
Kelli H recently posted..Two Years with RyderMy Profile

11 John Baker September 12, 2013 at 12:46 am

Wow what a beautiful setting and amazing photography. It looks like a great time.
John Baker recently posted..Top 3 Practices Behind Diets That WorkMy Profile

12 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner September 12, 2013 at 4:27 am

Try to imagine that totem pole anywhere but Hawaii, and it’d be scary! Looks like a beautiful trip. :)
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Keep Calm and Cook OnMy Profile

13 Jess September 12, 2013 at 5:28 am

Looks so beautiful!!! We went last year and the luau was my favorite thing we did!
Jess recently posted..What’s Happening WednesdayMy Profile

14 Liam September 12, 2013 at 5:52 pm

You should visit The Philippines! The beaches are great but it doesnt cost as much as when your in Maui! :)
Liam recently posted..Carpet Cleaning Brisbane: What to Ask to Consider the Right Company?My Profile

15 Shannon September 13, 2013 at 11:05 am

so beautiful!! one day i will get there :)

16 Toronto Girl West September 18, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Spectacular pictures!!! I have yet to go to Hawaii but posts like yours make me believe that I simply must!!! :)

Looking forward to the next post!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Planning a Trip to BeijingMy Profile

17 Maui Guide September 23, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Looks like you had an awesome trip to Maui. No road to Hana? The food out there is a different experience. Especially a few of the ones right on the road.