A Morning At The Classic Cooking Academy

by Jenn (eating bender) on September 28, 2013

Last weekend Mama B and I got in some quality time at the Classic Cooking Academy, an awesome local culinary school that offers a variety of different classes for non-professionals like us.

IMG_9517

We had purchased a LivingSocial deal for a dessert class and settled on one called “Custards and Creams,” taught by Chef Susan Kolman. The process she put together was easy and straightforward: Chef Susan provided the recipes for three desserts and taught us certain aspects from each of them throughout the morning. We’d learn a few steps and then go back into the kitchen to do it ourselves, little by little until we had completed our masterpieces.

IMG_9519

Our first task was to make the cookie crusts for our Chocolate Cream Pies. Mama Bender did a lot better job with pinching her crust, while I went for the rounder look on the right.

In other words, my crimping skills were lacking.

IMG_9521

It still turned out pretty tasty in the end, though.

IMG_9525

IMG_9532

IMG_9533

Next up we made Honey Yogurt Panna Cotta with Caramelized Apples.

IMG_9522

This recipe was a bit less complicated, but no less delicious.

IMG_9538

I really liked the orange in the panna cotta, but would probably opt for a new topping next time. The caramelized apples were good but I think it could be even better. Any ideas?

IMG_9541

Last but not least, we made a water bath for our Crème Brûlée.

IMG_9524

And I got to try my hand at burning the sugar topping. It was fun. :)

IMG_9545

Crème Brûlée was the easiest recipe of them all – just three basic ingredients!

IMG_9550

We were very happy with the final results of our culinary morning, and hope to take another class at the academy soon. High up on my list of desserts I need to learn how to make next: macarons!

IMG_9520

Have you ever made any of the above desserts? If so, any extra tips?

Abrazos,

Signature

1 Erica September 28, 2013 at 11:18 pm

That chocolate cookie crust sounds awesome! What a fun class. My Mom and I have taken a few cooking class together and always have a blast! A great mother/daughter activity. Thanks for sharing the recipes

2 Jenn (eating bender) October 4, 2013 at 8:17 am

It really is a great mother/daughter activity! Hope to take one again soon. :)

3 Kristi @ lifesprinkles September 29, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I’ve been dying to take a class like this! Looks like so much fun! :)
Kristi @ lifesprinkles recently posted..Goat Cheese and Almond Stuffed ApricotsMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) October 4, 2013 at 8:18 am

It was really great! This cooking school has SO many options, too. Let me know if you ever want to go!

5 Karla September 29, 2013 at 3:52 pm

What a FUN way to spend the day with mom! And all of these recipes look amazing. I need to research to see if there are any similar classes near me. This could be the perfect Christmas gift for my Mom!

Hmm, orange panna cotta + cranberry? Or you can’t go wrong with more chocolate. :)
Karla recently posted..Healthy Mexican Personal PizzaMy Profile

6 Jenn (eating bender) October 4, 2013 at 8:18 am

That would definitely be a perfect Christmas gift!! You’ll have to let me know what your research finds. :)

7 Jenn (eating bender) October 4, 2013 at 8:19 am

I also love the idea of panna cotta with cranberry – or more chocolate. More chocolate is always the right answer. :)

8 Monica September 30, 2013 at 6:53 pm

This looks awesome!! Would love to do something like this with my mom sometime! Isn’t using the blowtorch fun?? :)
Monica recently posted..San Francisco/Napa Valley: PART THREEMy Profile

9 Jenn (eating bender) October 4, 2013 at 8:20 am

Using the blowtorch was SO much fun. Gotta get me one of those… :)

10 Leucadia Chiropractor October 25, 2013 at 9:15 am

Awesome mother and daughter bonding! Would love to cook with my mom as well. Do they also teach you how to cook pastas? Like carbonara, spaghetti, etc.