A Morning At The Classic Cooking Academy

by Jenn (eating bender) on September 28, 2013

Last weekend Mama B and I got in some quality time at the Classic Cooking Academy, an awesome local culinary school that offers a variety of different classes for non-professionals like us.

We had purchased a LivingSocial deal for a dessert class and settled on one called “Custards and Creams,” taught by Chef Susan Kolman. The process she put together was easy and straightforward: Chef Susan provided the recipes for three desserts and taught us certain aspects from each of them throughout the morning. We’d learn a few steps and then go back into the kitchen to do it ourselves, little by little until we had completed our masterpieces.

Our first task was to make the cookie crusts for our Chocolate Cream Pies. Mama Bender did a lot better job with pinching her crust, while I went for the rounder look on the right.

In other words, my crimping skills were lacking.

It still turned out pretty tasty in the end, though.

Next up we made Honey Yogurt Panna Cotta with Caramelized Apples.

This recipe was a bit less complicated, but no less delicious.

I really liked the orange in the panna cotta, but would probably opt for a new topping next time. The caramelized apples were good but I think it could be even better. Any ideas?

Last but not least, we made a water bath for our Crème Brûlée.

And I got to try my hand at burning the sugar topping. It was fun. :)

Crème Brûlée was the easiest recipe of them all – just three basic ingredients!

We were very happy with the final results of our culinary morning, and hope to take another class at the academy soon. High up on my list of desserts I need to learn how to make next: macarons!

Have you ever made any of the above desserts? If so, any extra tips?

1 Erica September 28, 2013 at 11:18 pm

That chocolate cookie crust sounds awesome! What a fun class. My Mom and I have taken a few cooking class together and always have a blast! A great mother/daughter activity. Thanks for sharing the recipes

2 Jenn (eating bender) October 4, 2013 at 8:17 am

It really is a great mother/daughter activity! Hope to take one again soon. :)

3 Kristi @ lifesprinkles September 29, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I’ve been dying to take a class like this! Looks like so much fun! :)
Kristi @ lifesprinkles recently posted..Goat Cheese and Almond Stuffed ApricotsMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) October 4, 2013 at 8:18 am

It was really great! This cooking school has SO many options, too. Let me know if you ever want to go!

5 Karla September 29, 2013 at 3:52 pm

What a FUN way to spend the day with mom! And all of these recipes look amazing. I need to research to see if there are any similar classes near me. This could be the perfect Christmas gift for my Mom!

Hmm, orange panna cotta + cranberry? Or you can’t go wrong with more chocolate. :)
Karla recently posted..Healthy Mexican Personal PizzaMy Profile

6 Jenn (eating bender) October 4, 2013 at 8:18 am

That would definitely be a perfect Christmas gift!! You’ll have to let me know what your research finds. :)

7 Jenn (eating bender) October 4, 2013 at 8:19 am

I also love the idea of panna cotta with cranberry – or more chocolate. More chocolate is always the right answer. :)

8 Monica September 30, 2013 at 6:53 pm

This looks awesome!! Would love to do something like this with my mom sometime! Isn’t using the blowtorch fun?? :)
Monica recently posted..San Francisco/Napa Valley: PART THREEMy Profile

9 Jenn (eating bender) October 4, 2013 at 8:20 am

Using the blowtorch was SO much fun. Gotta get me one of those… :)

10 Leucadia Chiropractor October 25, 2013 at 9:15 am

Awesome mother and daughter bonding! Would love to cook with my mom as well. Do they also teach you how to cook pastas? Like carbonara, spaghetti, etc.