Not-So-Spooky Veggie Lasagna

by Jenn (eating bender) on October 31, 2013

First of all…HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!

Me + Superman

Do you have a fun costume planned for this year? The above is me as one of the three little pigs (the other two were my neighborhood friends) and baby bro as Superman in 1994.

You’ll notice the many layers under his costume and warm sweatshirt material of mine. Halloween in Minnesota almost always meant snow, which in turn meant trick-or-treating for as long as possible in your (layered) costume before having to throw on the full winter coat.

This year’s Halloween in Arizona promises to look a whole lot different with a high of 74 degrees and nighttime temperatures in the 50s. Still, I’m not really one to go for a ‘sexy’ costume with minimal fabric. Instead, I’m opting to be one of my favorite redheads. Any guesses?

Don’t let the facial expression influence your guess. I just can’t pull off serious.

While I’m excited about my costume (and the party that will go with it this weekend!), the thing I’m most looking forward to about Halloween this year is the chance to hand out candy in my neighborhood. I’ve heard we go all out – and if the spooky decor around here is any indication, the rumors are definitely true – so Bobby and I stocked up on way more candy than necessary, just in case. We’ll see how much remains by the end of the night!

Speaking of spooky…it turns out lasagna is anything but.

I have a habit of trying new recipes for book club, and I have to admit I was a little intimidated by lasagna – especially those noodles. I thought for sure that all of them would break apart as they cooked. Thankfully, it only happened to a few.

The rest were ready for layering with a delicious vegetable sauce made from chopped mushrooms, zucchini, onions, red peppers and basil, plus a can of whole tomatoes.

Not to mention a wonderfully cheesy blend of ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan.

DSC_0365  DSC_0376

In fact, the layering was my favorite part. Guess it was all those years of practice with Halloween costumes. (Okay, not really, but it was cool to build it piece by piece).

Once the prep work was done, it baked for a total of 30 minutes, then cooled for another 10 to ensure the ingredients solidified. Though it’s difficult not to have veggie lasagna that’s a little runny, this held together pretty well and was a hit both for book club and for my family later that night.

I am excited to have yet another Italian dish in my repertoire and hope you’ll give it a try!

I hope you enjoy this lasagna as much as I did!

What are your Halloween plans this year?

1 Catherine October 31, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I love having yummy vegetarian options, especially for Cara. I can make this gluten free by using Tinkyada lasagna noodles and following the package directions. With all those awesome flavors, my guests have no idea it is gluten free except that I am eating it:) Love your posts. Catherine

2 Jenn (eating bender) November 5, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I can’t wait to hear what you think of the recipe, Catherine!

3 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner October 31, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Wow, that hair looks awesome on you! I’ll have to check back and see who you were, because I have no idea. Since Dave and I are renting a house now, we got to hand out candy for the first time ever! It was so fun. Even more fun was taking my niece Aurelia trick-or-treating for the first time.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Bits and PiecesMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) November 5, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Aw, thank you, Chelsea! I’m glad to know it was semi-believable. I’ll be posting who I was soon. I think you’ll like it. :) I’m glad to hear you had a fun Halloween!

5 Erica October 31, 2013 at 1:46 pm

SO making this! Looks totally delicious! I can’t wait to see your full costume! ah! Love Halloween! The low here tonight is 69!

6 Biz October 31, 2013 at 3:14 pm

My husband wouldn’t like all those veggies – but that looks delish – I may make it and then freeze the other servings for my lunches.

Sadly, we don’t get any trick or treaters – the houses on my street are too far apart and the kids get driven into town where the houses are closer together to get more loot. My old house in Oak Park? I’d have at least 400 kids!
Biz recently posted..10 Day Cleanse Weigh InMy Profile

7 Jenn (eating bender) November 5, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Let me know if it freezes well! Oh man – 400 kids in your old neighborhood? That’s amazing! Our neighbors prepared us so we bought extra candy. I think we may have had at least a couple hundred. It was crazy – but really fun!

8 catherine November 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I made this recipe last night and it is truly great. I made some adjustments, but the outcome was pretty much the same. Amazing. First, I found out last minute I had no lasagna noodles. So, I used Tinkyada gluten free whole grain organic brown rice penne and mixed the slightly undercooked penne with the delectable sauce. This is a great time saver and does not affect flavor. I layered the ricotta mixture and the other cheeses over the pasta and sauce mixture. I also amped up the veggies a bit, just because I like them. Chopping the veggies as you suggested makes for a smoother sauce. Also added some goat cheese to the ricotta. It ended up delicious and I reserved half for Cara to serve John and Barb when they arrive today. Thanks for the recipe, Jenn.

9 Melissa @Tryingtoheal November 19, 2013 at 11:33 am

Andddd…it’s 9:30am and I want lasagna. Dang lady, you made that look delicious!

My comment is only three weeks late 😛
Melissa @Tryingtoheal recently posted..Catalina IslandMy Profile