An Impromptu Visit

by Jenn (eating bender) on August 2, 2012

Thank you all for the get well wishes! I’m feeling loads better since Tuesday and am now just waiting for my ears to pop. Unfortunately, I think I’ll be waiting a little longer because of my plane ride yesterday. Fortunately, it was worth it for an impromptu visit to the one and only Arizona.

Bobby and I decided to plan a quick weekend getaway that just so happened to work out with scheduling and the beauty of frequent flyer miles. I arrived yesterday afternoon in time for a late lunch with Mama B. and Eric at True Food Kitchen.

Just as we did the last time we visited, Mama B. and I started out with Cucumber-Citrus Skinny Margaritas. Casa Noble Silver Organic Tequila, lime, fresh mint, soda and orange. I really need to recreate this at home!

We started out by sharing an order of edamame dumplings with daikon radish and white truffle oil…

…as well as a wild mushroom pizza. I can’t say enough about this one. I practically inhaled it!

Mama B. and I each also picked out the Mediterranean Chopped Salad, made with cucumber, olive, cherry tomato, quinoa, feta, Marcona almonds and lemon oregano vinaigrette. We barely made a dent in them after the appetizer and pizza so are looking forward to lunch leftovers today.

We came home and watched more of the Olympics, eventually satisfying our sweet teeth with a small bowl of vanilla ice cream layered with peaches. I love when peach season rolls around. It means fall isn’t too far away!

That observation may make some of you cringe, I know. πŸ˜‰ But I can’t wait for football season.

In other news this week, I’m currently reading Emily Giffin’s newest book, Where We Belong. I’m enjoying it so far and am planning to do several reviews of her books in the coming weeks. I’ve read all of them and love the candy-colored covers that have become her trademark.

Speaking of books, how CUTE are these cupcakes?

They come from Victoria’s Kitchen in London. I am very tempted to have a batch sent across the pond. :) Thanks to Jill for sharing them with me. I think the true challenge would be figuring out which books to use on top! What would be in your top dozen?

Last but not least, here is today’s random smile – a new towel I found in my family’s kitchen.

If you need me, I’ll be making a moose in the kitchen.

The weekend is almost here! Any big plans for kicking off August?

I’m hoping to play some golf and get in a hike or two.

1 Erica August 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm

SO fun that you’re in AZ. That Mediterranean Chopped Salad looks amazing. Enjoy it all. We have Kaylin’s birthday party Saturday and it is our 5th wedding anniversary! With all this PSU craziness…I am NOT looking forward to college football at all…its no longer the team I loved. BUT- I will be excited for NFL
Erica recently posted..Happy Birthday Kaylin!!My Profile

2 Jenn (eating bender) August 2, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I completely understand with PSU. It’s such a tough situation. But the NFL games promise to be as awesome and exciting as always! Have a GREAT birthday and anniversary weekend. I’m so excited to hear more about both!

3 Megan (Braise The Roof) August 2, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Sorry for yelling.

It’s just that it looks delicious. Have a great trip!
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..So Much SalmonMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) August 2, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I understand completely. I could really go for another round right about NOW! :)

5 Cara (Twinthusiast) August 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Hope AZ was fun. I am LOVING those cupcakes. Off the top of my head, mine would include: The Secret Garden, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, To Kill a Mockingbird, Trinity, Gone with the Wind, Zorro, Les Miserables, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, The Little Princess, Sarah’s Key, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, Great Expectations, and to make it a true baker’s dozen – The Babysitters Club. πŸ˜‰ Requested Giffin’s latest from the library.
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..Asserting ThemselvesMy Profile

6 Jenn (eating bender) August 2, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I love your book list! Many of those would be in my baker’s dozen, too. πŸ˜‰ We’ll have to book review Emily Giffin’s work when we do The House I Loved!

7 BroccoliHut August 2, 2012 at 7:35 pm

So glad to hear that you’re feeling a bit better!
Those cupcakes are too cute–I would have such a hard time choosing which books to decorate with though!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Notes from the Intern II: OrientationMy Profile

8 Jenn (eating bender) August 5, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I think it’d be impossible for me to narrow it down to 12!

9 Susan August 2, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Hmmm…can I do two dozen book cupcakes? haha. To Kill a Mockingbird would be on my list too. I’d also include The Giver, A Woman of Independent Means, The Kite Runner, Pride and Prejudice, Brave New World, Ishmael, The Poisonwood Bible, The End of the Affair, What Is the What, The Great Gatsby, and The Giving Tree. Oh, and for my baker’s dozen… umm… 50 Shades? NOT. haha. :)

10 Jenn (eating bender) August 5, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Those are all great choices! Some of them are new to me, so you’ve inspired me to add them to my ever-growing list of books to read. Everything but 50 Shades that is, haha. :)

11 Irina @ Chocolatea Time August 3, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I want those cupcakes!!!! I am such a book nerd (reading = love and happiness), and I have no idea what books I would choose as the decorations (Harry Potter would definitely be there though :) ).
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..13(.1) Lessons Learned While Training For A Half MarathonMy Profile

12 Jenn (eating bender) August 5, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I couldn’t agree more with your equation on reading! Harry Potter would definitely be in my top dozen, too. :)

13 julie August 3, 2012 at 3:41 pm

LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE that towel!!! haha i love the ‘if you give a moose a muffin’ book! this is the best towel i’ve ever seen! i can’t wait to hear how the book is because i’ve heard grea tthings about it! xoxo

14 Jenn (eating bender) August 5, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Ooooh I love that book, too! And I will definitely give you a review of Emily Giffin, especially since we have similar (good) taste in reads. πŸ˜‰

15 emily (a nutritionist eats) August 4, 2012 at 11:15 am

I got excited for fall last weekend…I saw a winter squash and it was over. :)
emily (a nutritionist eats) recently posted..lately i’ve been…(x)My Profile

16 Jenn (eating bender) August 5, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I found myself looking for pumpkin beer at the grocery store today, haha! Not quite as healthy as winter squash, but definitely a sign that I’m ready for fall. :)

17 Orthodontic August 6, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Wow, those cupcakes are really cool! It’s almost a shame to eat it and mess it up! Quite a good selection of books too!
Orthodontic recently posted..Fear of Braces PainMy Profile