Happenings (ii)

by Jenn (eating bender) on May 24, 2013

Wedding Pic

SK & JB

1. Yesterday was Mama and Papa Bender’s 32nd wedding anniversary! It’s always fun to look back at old pictures of them. They are a truly wonderful example of what it means to love fully, embrace the importance of family and – perhaps most important of all – don’t take life too seriously. :)

IMG_6919

2. I had the chance to see The Great Gatsby last weekend and it was everything I had hoped for and more after gushing over the trailers for months. It seems as though the reactions to the movie – and the soundtrack in particular – are mixed. People either love it or hate it with not much room in between. I’m in the “love” camp but that may stem from the fact that I really like all the artists on the soundtrack. I admit that there were moments where it was a bit bizarre to combine the modern music styles with the 1920s era, but overall I was a fan.

I also thought the actors and actresses were outstanding. I’m not always the biggest fan of Tobey Maguire but I thought he rocked it as Nick, and Leonardo DiCaprio is just Leonardo DiCaprio. He’s been my favorite since Titanic. Have you seen Gatsby yet?

IMG_6913

IMG_6916

IMG_6915

3. Right before we went to see Gatsby, a group of us grabbed dinner at Grimaldi’s – appropriate since they are famous for their New York-style pizza. It was everybody’s first time there and we were all super impressed! You start with a base pizza that is either cheese and sauce, cheese and garlic or cheese and pesto, then add whatever toppings you like to it. Bobby and I went with the cheese and sauce pizza topped with tomatoes, mushrooms and sausage.

The result was fantastic, especially when served with the “house wine.” You can probably imagine how excited I was to find out that “house wine” does exist outside of Europe – and it was just as cheap and fantastic as it is there!

IMG_6929

4. This workweek was made a bit more exciting when Jill came to town for a couple of days! We visited 32 Shea for a day just like last time and their Vienna coffee syrup still knocked my socks off. I really want to recreate this coffee at home.

IMG_6944

IMG_6960

Arizona Restaurant Week

5. Last night I went with a group of lovely ladies to Cowboy Ciao for Arizona Restaurant Week. In fact, it was many of the same ladies from our ARW trip to Cheuvront back in the fall. We had a great time chatting and the food was truly awesome.

I started out with the “Nuts About Scallops,” which was sea scallops crusted in corn nuts and seared with heirloom tomatoes and risotto. It comes with a Ciao “trail mix” made with Asiago, pepitas and dried black currants, as well as a pesto buttermilk dressing. YUM! For my entrรฉe I chose the “Pig ‘n Puddin,’” which was pulled barbecue pork over creamy soft polenta with pepitas and dried cranberries. And for dessert I had a banana, peanut butter and chocolate upside-down cake.

Words truly can’t describe how delicious it all was and I left knowing I’d be back sooner rather than later! We snapped a quick group shot, too. From left to right (including front and back rows): Sheena, Megan, Ari, Nicole, Kristi, Emily, Robin and me.

Karla_Promo-731x1024

6. One cause I’m definitely getting behind this week is in support of my friend Karla and her upcoming Million Dollar Marathon! To celebrate her 26th birthday, Karla is taking on 26.2 miles in a cross-country relay. If you’re interested in donating to her cause, you can do so directly or through buying one of her awesome new t-shirts. The money raised will be split between Above & Beyond Cancer, Livestrong and American Cancer Society. Check out more in her blog post.

IMG_6941

7. Last but not least, I’m getting my decor ready for Memorial Day. Bobby’s parents will be coming into town for the long weekend. I think we may check out bull riding at the Buffalo Chip, go on a hike and see the Benders, among other things.

Hope everyone has a great long weekend! What are your Memorial Day Plans?

Abrazos,

Signature

1 Shannon May 24, 2013 at 1:28 pm

happy anniversary to mom and dad :) off to check out the million dollar marathon- i’m a sucker for a good cause!
Shannon recently posted..Mashed Potato PizzaMy Profile

2 Jenn (eating bender) May 28, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Thanks, Shannon! And big thanks for checking out Karla’s post. :)

3 Karla May 24, 2013 at 4:47 pm

You are unbelievable, Jenn. A BIG thank you doesn’t seem nearly enough for all of the amazing support you’ve given me and this project. I hope I can repay you in kind very soon!

Happy anniversary to Mama and Papa Bender! What an adorable couple. And I’m so glad you enjoyed Gatsby, too! One of my favorite movies so far this year for sure. I love your springy dress and all of the fun dinner outings!

Thanks a MILLION! :)
Karla recently posted..26th Birthday Celebration: Running 26.2 Miles!My Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) May 28, 2013 at 1:24 pm

You are more than welcome, Karla – I’m so happy to be able to support your cause in any way I can! :)

5 Cara (Twinthusiast) May 24, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Awww, I’ve never seen their wedding photo – so great! Have a great weekend with John and Barb.
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..Making a Pediatrician Visit Fun?My Profile

6 Erica May 24, 2013 at 5:12 pm

The movie looks very moulin rouge to me- is it??? I loved Moulin, but could see how people didn’t like it. Grimaldi’s! We have one too. I love their ginormous salads. Happy anniversary to your amazing parents. WE have a ton of parties this weekend. Enjoy it!
Erica recently posted..Healthy Spinach & Artichoke Dip (with white beans!!)My Profile

7 Jenn (eating bender) May 28, 2013 at 1:26 pm

It is very Moulin Rouge! It’s actually done by the same director – Baz Luhrmann – who did Moulin Rouge and Romeo & Juliet (with Leo DiCaprio). If you loved Moulin, you’ll love Gatsby!

8 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 25, 2013 at 10:13 am

You look so much like your mom; you both have fabulous smiles! Happy Anniversary to them.

I have not seen Gatsby yet, but I’m hoping to squeeze it in this weekend, amongst other things. Happy long weekend to you!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Wanna Go on a Run With Me?My Profile

9 Jenn (eating bender) May 28, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Your comment makes me smile so big – thank you, Chelsea! :) Hope you were able to squeeze in a trip to see Gatsby this weekend!

10 Elle May 25, 2013 at 11:36 am

Those are lovely photos of Mama and Papa bender. Happy 32nd anniversary to them!

I have yet to see the Great Gatsby yet, but I really liked the book. I am hoping to go and see it either this weekend or next weekend.

I heard pretty positive things about it, so I am excited. I am glad you enjoyed the movie!

I don’t live in USA, but your Memorial day decorations look great.
Elle recently posted..Top 7 Zinc Deficiency Symptoms to Check for If you Think You Suffer from HypozincemiaMy Profile

11 Jenn (eating bender) May 28, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Thanks, Elle! You’ll have to let me know what you think once you see Gatsby. :)

12 Ari @ Ari's Menu May 25, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I had so much fun at Cowboy Ciao…so glad I got to sit next to you so we could chat!! :)
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..PB&J Cheesecake CupsMy Profile

13 Jenn (eating bender) May 28, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Agreed!! So glad we could chat – and it looks like you had a blast at the lake this weekend! Can’t wait to see you again at book club. :)

14 Melissa @TryingtoHeal May 29, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Happy anniversary to your parents!!! I’m so happy for them! My parents are about to hit their 30-something anniversary too here in a few days! Our parents are awesome!

And what a great time you’ve been having! That dinner you went to sounds amazing!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Cruiseโ€™n In Santa CruzMy Profile