by Jenn (eating bender) on May 9, 2013

JK_Dzia Dzia

(Me and my Dzia Dzia on our 1st and 60th birthdays. He celebrates his 85th birthday on May 12!)

Leave it to the history nerd to look up these facts about May 9 through the ages.

On this day in…

1502 – Columbus left Spain on his fourth and final trip to New World.
1573 – Polish Parliament selects Duke of Anjou as king (hurray, Poland).
1753 – King Louis XV disbands French parliament.
1754 – First newspaper cartoon in America of severed snake entitled “Join, or Die.”
1785 – British inventor Joseph Bramah patents beer-pump handle (very important).
1887 – Buffalo Bill Cody’s Wild West Show opens in London.
1899 – Lawn mower patented (Papa Bender will appreciate this one).
1914 – President Woodrow Wilson proclaims the first Mother’s Day.
1936 – First KLM airplane to land on Bonaire.
1956 – First ascent of Manaslu, the world’s eighth-highest mountain.
1962 – Beatles sign their first contract with EMI Parlophone.
1969 – BPAA All-Star Bowling Tournament won by Billy Hardwick.
1976 – Sally Little wins LPGA Ladies Masters at Moss Creek Golf Tournament (cool!).
1982 – Sally Little wins LPGA United Virginia Bank Golf Classic (doubly cool!).
1984 – Chicago White Sox and Milwaukee Brewers play 8:06 based game, the longest timed.
1987 – Mama Bender says, “Finally!” (or something like that) at 8:07 a.m. in Lake Forest, IL. :)
1992 – Final episode of “Golden Girls” airs on NBC-TV (sad).
1993 – Meg Mallon wins LPGA Sara Lee Golf Classic (excellent).
1994 – South Africa’s newly elected parliament chooses Nelson Mandela to be president.
2005 – The Huffington Post is launched.
2008 – Weird-looking Cheese Danish pancakes made, first “21-year-old” mojito consumed.
2009 – One of the best weeks of my life – a birthday and an engagement!
2010 – Many a Papa Bender special enjoyed during a visit to Arizona.
2011 – Fantastic day courtesy of Jill, fantastic night courtesy of Bobby.
2012 – My last celebration as a Chicago resident.
2013 – Plenty of fun in Arizona so far – but this year from our own house as residents!

OK. Those last few are definitely not historically relevant. But it’s still fun to take a look back.

It remains to be seen what the next year will bring. I have no doubt that a lot will change – it always does – but one thing that I know will stay the same is the love and appreciation I have for my family, friends and all of you who make this day so special. Thank you.

“Another year over, and a new one just begun!”

1 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate May 9, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Have a wonderful birthday!
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..My Recent Purchases: The Good, The Bad, and The EmbarassingMy Profile

2 Jenn (eating bender) May 9, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Thanks, Gina!

3 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 9, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Happy Birthday, Jenn! Enjoy your next trip around the sun!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Booking ItMy Profile

4 Jenn (eating bender) May 9, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Thanks, Chelsea! When you put it that way it sounds even more fun. :)

5 Cara (Twinthusiast) May 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I love that we just lumped Columbus, you, and the Golden Girls in the same category… 😉 Happy Birthday, dear Jenn! Hugs and kisses from the whole gang :)
Cara (Twinthusiast) recently posted..A Reading Rainbow 2nd BirthdayMy Profile

6 Jenn (eating bender) May 9, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Well we’re all so similar, you know… :) Thanks for the birthday wishes!! xoxo

7 emily (a nutritionist eats) May 9, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Happy, Happy Birthday Jenn!

8 Jenn (eating bender) May 9, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Thanks, Emily!!

9 Erica May 9, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Happpppy Birthday!
Erica recently posted..Happenings & Friendship Dairies GiveawayMy Profile

10 Jenn (eating bender) May 9, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Thanks, Erica!!

11 Helen May 9, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Jenn- I am one of your readers and it is my birthday too! Happy Birthday and keep those great posts coming. Helen

12 Jenn (eating bender) May 9, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Thank you for the sweet comment, Helen! Happy birthday to you! Hope you’ve been having a great day. :)

13 Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) May 9, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Happy Birthday! I had no idea we’re the same age. You’re exactly 1 month older than me. :)
Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted..Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa & Black BeansMy Profile

14 Jenn (eating bender) May 9, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I didn’t realize that either – so awesome! Thanks for the birthday wishes! :)

15 Melissa @TryingtoHeal May 9, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Happy Birthday my great and wonderful friend!!! I hope you have a wonderful day and I know 26 will hold many many great things for you!!!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..A Liebster AwardMy Profile

16 Jenn (eating bender) May 17, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Thank you for the sweet birthday wishes, Melissa!!

17 BroccoliHut May 9, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Happy birthday Jenn! I hope a Great Gatsby viewing will be part of your birthday weekend celebration :)
BroccoliHut recently posted..Harvest Grains SaladMy Profile

18 Jenn (eating bender) May 17, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I missed my chance last weekend but am fixing it TONIGHT. Truly can’t wait to see it – I’ve been avoiding reviews left and right!! :)

19 Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife May 9, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Happy birthday!!! I hope you’re having a ton of fun! :)
Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife recently posted..Tropical Fruit Salad with Whipped Coconut CreamMy Profile

20 Jenn (eating bender) May 17, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Thanks, Lauren!! :)

21 Toronto Girl West May 9, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Feliz Cumpleaños amiga!!!!! May this year be filled with an abundance of blessings!!!!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Vancouver Sun Run Race Report – Part IMy Profile

22 Jenn (eating bender) May 17, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Thank you for the sweet birthday wishes, Karen!! :)

23 Kayla May 13, 2013 at 1:08 am

Happy Birthday! I hope it was spectacular!

A little late, but it’s never too late to spread cheer :)

24 Jenn (eating bender) May 17, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Couldn’t agree more, Kayla – thank you! :)

25 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) May 13, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Yay for birthdays! Happy b-day again!

Ps. love that you looked up those facts – totally something I’d do, too. :)
Joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..National Women’s Health WeekMy Profile

26 Jenn (eating bender) May 17, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Haha! Love it – thanks, Joelle! :)